This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Date Code Identification 1960 430

See attached Lincoln Service Bulletin 1960 Eng-Fuel System Number 1, instructions on decoding the stamped assembly code found on the left front cylinder bank. "These codes are new for 1960 and are not the same as previously used" as stated on the Bulletin.

Ford issued a Management Service Letter M-204, Subject: 1960 Parts Identification - Thunderbird, however in Section 8 titled Complete Engine Assembly Date Code, the info appears to cover identification for the 352 as the Lima Plant was excluded. Lima is where the 430's were being assembled according to the code. The Lincoln Bulletin is appropriate for our Thunderbirds with the 430.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf linc60eng1-1.pdf (74.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by GTE427 : 07-29-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 AM

TR4V8 is on a distinguished road
Default Carburetors for 430 Engine

Ken -- Thanks for posting the engine date decode sheet for the 430 engine. I'm trying to document the date code & part numbers for a Holley that The Old Cars Manual Project lists as being original for the 430 engine. Numbers stamped into the choke horn as follows:
List 1850

I have been told that this can't be a 1960 carb because the date code is on the driver side with the other numbers. I don't know of any other resource that documents this carburetor. Can you help? -- Thanks, Steve
Old 08-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Your Holley R-1850-A is a model 4160 C unit that carries a Ford/Lincoln Part # 5752426 and was for the 58-59 Lincoln 430, and the 59-60 430 Thunderbird (From Holley Literature) In 1958 it had Lincoln part # PB9M-9510-E (From Lincoln Parts Man) Since I can find no later Ford Part # associated with this ID (OSI & Engr # ref), could it have been a Holley Service replacement for the Thunderbird?
I have no information on Holley Date Codes.
Carl
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

I thought the Thunderbird 430's came with Carter carburetors. That is what is on both my 59 and 60 430's.

Vern
Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Vern,
You are correct according to all reference material and observations to date, The 59 & 60's were produced with the Carter Carb. I offered what info I had for TR4V8 who may be trying to document something for a Thunderbird, Lincoln or Mercury. He was not specific about his reasons.
Carl
Old 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Holley Carb

Thanks Carl and Vern - interesting info -I really appreciate your expertise - I didn't know that the 430s in 58-60 Thunderbirds came with the Carter (AFB?)

So this remains a mystery. The Holley application list on The Old Car Manual Project website list indicates this carb was OE for the Lincoln 430 in Lincolns/Mercurys/Thunderbirds (List R-1859-AAS with part# 5752624). I have two of these Holleys, one with the 062 date the other with a 262. Someone told me that Holley date codes before 1964 were on the passenger side (news to me) - I don't believe that these were aftermarket because they have the Ford part number and while it is possible that Holley would be producing new replacement parts in 1970/72 for an engine that ceased production in 1965, the List 1850-X aftermarket carburetors were available at that time.

I have had no success finding documentation in any detail on Lincoln or Mercury with the 430 engine. Where can I find documentation on the Ford part number 5752624 ?? I thought that beginning in the mid-60s Ford part numbers used alpha-numeric numbers that could be decoded to the application.

Thanks again for your help -- Steve
Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Holley Carb

CORRECTION:

Sorry - that was Holley part number R-1850-AAS on the TOCMP.com list - not 1859 - darned typos - my fingers usually work better . . .