This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default Bumper Jack

Greetings All -

I've got a bumper jack question that I hope to get some help with. I have read enough of the old bumper jack posts to know that I should never actually USE the jack , but I'm trying to confirm that I have all the correct pieces.

From the research I've done, the base, upright and the J hook appear to be the correct ones. My question is about the ratchet mechanism - - It does not look the same as what was pictured in a post here a couple of years back. The mechanism is stamped "A-A" (the first "A" is a little bigger than the second one) and US Pat No 2,962,261. The stampings are on the same side of the mechanism as the Up / Down lever.

The problem I'm having is that the J hook and the mechanism will not mate up properly - they are nearly exactly the same dimensions which prevents the hook from engaging.

All help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jack2.JPG (67.6 KB, 103 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

hi Don
I have a set of jack parts that I got out of a 1958 that was going to be crushed. They seem to fit together correctly.

The racheting unit has Pat. No.2,731,232 on it. The base has AJ-C stamped on it, as well as an A on the other side.

I can take pictures of any of the pieces if it would help.

Oddly, when I Googled the Patent Number from mine, I come up with a patent for a screw type jack. I can offer no explanation for this (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2731232.pdf )

On the other hand, if I Goggle your Pat. No. I come up with a racheting jack (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2962261.pdf)

John

Last edited by JohnG : 07-11-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Del,

I think you have the wrong ratchet. The correct one should measure 1.5" in width where the hook attaches, the very common ratchet circa 1950 & 60 measures 2" in that same spot. I should have pictures comparing the two that highlite the difference. Should be able to post tomorrow when at that computer. EDIT The picture you posted just came thru, your ratchet isn't correct it is 2" wide , so the TBird j-hook won't fit. I'll get the pictures posted tomorrow.

Last edited by GTE427 : 07-11-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
John

Ken, does yours have any Pat.No. on it ?

john
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Jack

I checked mine in my '60 & was the same as Johns.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Super-Experienced

You really don't need to bother with patent numbers or markings. The uniqueness of the TBird ratchet is the tapered width of 1.5" (approx) where the hook attaches and the metal tab instead of a spring to hold the J-Hook.

Many try to pass off the 2" ratchet as a TBird but it's not.

Look at the comparison pictures of ratchets and hooks and you'll easily be able to identify the Squarebird Jack ratchet from photos or at swap meets without looking for patent numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jack1.jpg (393.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg jack2.jpg (435.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg jack3.jpg (390.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg jacl4.jpg (345.4 KB, 134 views)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
John

Great photos and comments, Ken!! That makes it easy!

John
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Thanks John. I wasn't able to to get a clear and intuitive description for identifing the ratchet/stalk of the Squarebird Jack for the longest time. Finally last fall while at a swap meet, a Small Bird vendor had a complete jack for sale at $30. He stated it could be used for the Squarebird but wasn't original to the Squarebird and he didn't know the difference and neither would anyone else (I didn't), honest enough.

Bought it and laid it next to a Squarebird Jack and the uniqueness of the Squarebird jack was very apparent. I'm glad Del asked the question as I took the photos last Fall to post here and it got over-looked.

Hopefully these pic will help in the future when members try to buy Jacks, since last fall I've seen several jacks for sale with 2" wide ratchets that sellers/vendors insist are original to squarebirds, buyers beware.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Ken, John, Chris - Thanks for the replies! Mystery solved.

Anybody out there have a spare, correct ratchet mechanism for trade or otherwise?
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Ken,
Great clarification of the jacks. Also, John's base AJ-C is correct according to the Master Parts Catalog. I have seen several different height posts. This "Y" style was also used on a chevy as I understand, but a different height. Posts that I have removed from original cars have all been 33 1/2" high. I have been tempted by other heights at swap meets but have passed on them. I'm not sure how critical a minor variation is in height.
Carl