This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Rosie. Got the name changed, right and proper. - Dvae

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Experienced

Gold Bird is on a distinguished road

Looking at the alternator/generator it must be the later. My concern is not one of performance but what is best. The car runs fine, but just figured that it should be putting out a full 12v not lower. Will check to see what its putting out and go from there. I am sure the resistor wire is in there as the car had points with a stock style coil if it had more juice I would guess the points would have not lasted this long.
1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Bird View Post

Looking at the alternator/generator it must be the later.
GEN On Left- ALT On Right

Correct. Points (and matching coil) has voltage dropped to approx. 9V with resistor.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

With a generator you won't get 12 volts at idle. If you changed the wire going to your dist. you will get 12 when you hit the gas.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Experienced

Gold Bird is on a distinguished road

Generator for sure in my car. So, if I get ride of the resistor wire will I have a full 12volts at the coil?
1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post

With a generator you won't get 12 volts at idle.
I forgot that little factoid. But it should maintain BAT VOLT @ 12.6 VOLT.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Wow !! I haven't posted here for awhile !!!

My gen puts out 13.2@ idle and spikes to mid 14's when you giv it gas then settles to 13.2-13.4

Never had issues (knock on wood)

What takes the juice is that pwr top.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Bird View Post

Generator for sure in my car. So, if I get ride of the resistor wire will I have a full 12volts at the coil?
If it was my BIRD (oh how I wish), I would in no way want to cut into the harness as you or someone might want to perform a dedicated restoration at some point.

If the car runs good (and it should run much better than with points) I would not worry about it. If it really bothers you (and you are 100% certain the charging system is putting out per specs), I would put a relay in the system bypassing both the IGN SW and resistor and would be easy to remove and cover later.

I am very anal about original (or near original appearance- unless a custom) so my opinion(s) is somewhat limited.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

There is a great site I found that talks about why you likely have less voltage at your coil. Check out http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...-threewire.com
Essentially, there is a voltage drop through any length of wire, the longer the run of wire there is, the larger the voltage drop. There is actually an equation based on the length and gauge of the wire, but I don't know it off the top of my head.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
If it was my BIRD (oh how I wish), I would in no way want to cut into the harness as you or someone might want to perform a dedicated restoration at some point.

If the car runs good (and it should run much better than with points) I would not worry about it. If it really bothers you (and you are 100% certain the charging system is putting out per specs), I would put a relay in the system bypassing both the IGN SW and resistor and would be easy to remove and cover later.

I am very anal about original (or near original appearance- unless a custom) so my opinion(s) is somewhat limited.
Sorta what I did in my '66.

The original coil wire was a resistance one that dropped voltage to the coil, even with the Petronix I was getting plug-fouling in around town driving, stumble-stumble-stumble....

So I used that wire to 'trigger' a hidden relay which then gave full 12 volts to the coil (which I replaced with one designed for electronic ignition)

Now I rarely get any sign of fouling and a short run out on the open road cleans them out - didn't work before my modification.