This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default AC Blower Motor Replacement

I had my AC system checked because it did not seem to be putting out enough cold air. It turns out it was low on freon. I went back to my house and got a can of R12 that I have a supply of. They added that can and it started putting out really good cold air. While driving it a bit later on though, suddenly, my blower stopped working and it got pretty hot in that car in the 95+ degree heat outside. I went back to the shop and they checked my AC blower motor and found that there was power getting to it, but it had died on me.

That started a hunt for a replacement or a repair of it. I opted for a local repair. I was told they could fix it. But then later was told that it might take awhile to find the parts for that motor. So I started looking for a replacement, and found that they are hard to come by. The AC Motor that was on there was a 2 wire motor. The original unit is a 3 wire unit, according to the wiring diagram. Apparently, my original one had failed in the past and someone put in a 2 wire unit. We can see where wiring changes were made going to the motor to facilitate that.

After talking with most of the Tbird parts vendors I found out that a re-manufactured one was not readily available. Or if it was, it was going to cost over $100 plus a $100 core charge. One parts house has a 3-4 weeks delay while they rebuild your motor.

Finally, I talked with Mike at Tbird Hqs. He told me that they did not have any rebuilt motors because they did not have any cores to rebuild. But he did have a new AC Delco blower motor in stock! In fact, he is running one on his '58 Squarebird with no problems at all. So I bought one! I should have it tomorrow. What they have in stock is a model that one of their guys found would work on our Tbirds. It is a 2 wire unit. I think he said the shaft on it is a bit longer than the original one, but it does not cause any problems. He said he has a half dozen of them in stock. They sell for $69, plus an additional part for a few bucks that goes on the side of the case. I gather that the case has about a one inch hole in it that this short elbow piece plugs into. It is to allow you, if you wish, to hook a hose up to your AC plenum box. He has not done that. He just turned it down and lets it hang there. The AC Delco Part Number for this unit is 15-8110. I do not know what make or year cars it was made for, but he says it works on our Squarebirds with no problems. Here is a link to it.

http://webcaps.ecomm.gm.com/internet...Number=15-8110

So, if you are not concerned with having a non-original part on your Tbird, this AC motor will do the trick should you lose yours and not be able to find an original replacement off a parts car or a rebuilt one.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Hey! That's a good price!

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-811.../dp/B000S2NWI2

US$36.46 (+4.99 s/h) is half (to 1/3) as much as our parts houses want for a Ford blower motor.

Good find, Ray. Hope it works out for you because I know Texas is HOT.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Well, it looks like I paid twice as much as I would have, had I known which AC Delco model number to look for on the internet! Oh well, at least ya'll know where you can find one cheaper than what I paid for it. However, I should have mine tomorrow and not in 3-4 days... It is worth it to get the AC going again in this hot Texas weather.

JohnG, you might want to grab the Amazon link that Dave gave us for future use, in case someone else needs an AC motor in the future.. Thanks, Dave.

I did some research on the AC Delco site. It appears this AC blower motor was used on Ford Medium Duty Trucks, 1980-81 F600-700, 1972-80 L-LN-LT-LTS and 1970-79 F500-700. It is a 12v motor. I also found out that this model blower motor is used on Komatsu equipment! Also '64-'72 Ford F-N-NT-T trucks. And '79-'85 Kenworth Trucks 500!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-25-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Blower motor vehicle list - 67+ pages !!!

http://webcaps.ecomm.gm.com/internet...A&part=15-8110

Using the '82 Fairmont info (first on the list) it looks like it crosses to an Advance Auto 35514 $33.99 and a PM350 at O'Riley $31.99 - they look to have the same hole in the side of the motor that you described Ray.

Hope you get it going soon - NC is hot too - looking forward to finishing my A/C system install - Heat index 104 yesterday - the humidity kills us.

Eric
registry 5347
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Hi Eric, thanks for the additional information on this motor. It seems to be a pretty common one, used on a lot of different makes and models of cars and trucks. Good luck with your AC project. I hope to have mine working again later today or tomorrow. Like you, we have high humidity also and that just gets you down.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Slow Typist

Oh, man... this gets even better...

I went to RockAuto.com, looking for a good price, but acutely aware that much of their stuff is Chinese. Look what I found:

FOUR SEASONS Part # 35502 $20.79

"Our Unimotor facility in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada, produces fractional-horsepower DC blower motors and radiator fan motors."

Canada makes great stuff! (Right, Howard & Dano?) Seriously, this is the best deal yet. And if that motor is out of stock, Rock has a "SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 0335476 {Motor - Blower}" for a dollar more.

I would jump all over the Four Seasons motor (if I had a Thunderbird). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Dave I might be a little biased but yes,we DO make good stuff and the warranty isn't bad either.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Well Dave, when you gettin a t-bird???? This has nothing to do t-birds but my 70 couger has a 91 chevy air unit under the dash. Fit like a glove. Part # s is the name of the game. I came across a guy selling his parts buss. and told him I'll take all the old books being he had a computor system. I think I have a couple four season ones...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 PM

That is a good question, Bill! Dave, Brandon has enough Tbirds now with the 10th one he bought, that you could easily make one good one out of them with no trouble at all for you, as good a mechanic as you are! You could even have the best of three years of Squarebirds, by putting together a 58, 59 and 60 Tbird, taking the best features of all three years! Thanks for posting the RockAuto information. I have asked JohnG to grab this thread for the TRL for future use when someone else looses an AC blower motor. Mine has not shown up yet. I hope it does this evening because I want to get it in tomorrow.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Slow Typist

Bill, Ray,... I was thinkin' of buying that '55 T-bird body for $500. It may be 'mini' but at least its a 'bird! My last T-bird was a '81, and it was a GREAT family car.

Bill, your A/C story reminds me of my first trip to Mississippi, two years ago. I happened to be at a Wal-Mart in Corinth, when I saw a guy on a motorcycle in the parking lot. This thing had a huge radiator in front. The closer I got, the more I realized it also had a Chevy 350 V-8!

I had to talk with the rider, and asked him if insurance was killing him... He said, "Nope! The INshurnce comp'ny asked what size it was and I said, '350'. They must have thought I meant CC's."

I guess I'll never forget the sight of this guy with his legs spread from monday to friday, trying to negotiate the parking lot at slow speed, and avoid touching his legs on exhaust manifolds that stuck way out each side.

But, hey. I'd love to have another T-bird in my future. I've always regarded them as being a 'giant step' above the other Ford's. If one comes along with a title and a good price... you never know.

Ray, I sincerely hope your part comes in tonight. Texas is brutal without air. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca