This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

Frankvv is on a distinguished road
Default Installing a Glove Box in a 59 - Simple, no?

When I acquired my 59 Bird the glove box was missing. The door was on and the right hinge was hitting the right side of the dash overlay, and the paint on the dash overlay lip is chipped off. I finally found the chrome insert pieces on eBay and I bought the cardboard insert. I thought this would be a 10 minute job. Heck, there are only four screws involved. Wrong! So my question is this: does the cardboard go under the dash metal frame and then the screws go through the chrome, then the frame and into the glovebox, or does the glove box sit on the metal frame? I think it goes underneath. In either case it is appears that some manouvering with the dash cover and the insullation on the right side are in order. Can someone look at their install and provide me some hints? Thanks to all in advance!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I have a '58 hardtop. The glovebox is original (repaired but original). I just went and looked at it.

The glovebox sits underneath the metal frame of my dash framework on the bottom. In other words, I cannot see the edge of the black cardboard material anywhere. There are a total of 5 screws to hold it - 3 on the bottom and one on each side. Similarly it sits above the framework on the top.

As I recall, I can have the box out in a couple of minutes with a little maneuvering. It helps, for example, if I have to do anything with the wiper assembly as I get a great view of it.

John

Last edited by JohnG : 07-04-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Apprentice

Default Thanks John!

That was my hypothesis as well, but I was beginning to doubt myself. I owned a '60 Bird 6 years ago and did not have any problems removing the glove box as I recall, so I thought installing a new one in the '59 would be a breeze. However, because of how the new dash has been installed, things don't line up perfectly making it more challenging. But now that you have confirmed the correct position I will attack the project from a position of knowledge Thank you!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

in your original post, you mention going through "the chrome". That part has me perplexed.

I put a new dashpad on when I got my car , glued onto the orginal dash (sheet metal) frame. So I am using the same screw holes as ever and the new dashpad is not near them. I suspect the glovebox has sheet metal clips on it for the self tapping screws to go through after they pass thru the dash frame.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Apprentice

Default The Chrome

John,
Sorry, I was referring to the three trim pieces (chrome) that go on top of everything to finish it off. Yes, the glove box liner has the clips on it to receive the screws. That is why it does make sense that the liner goes underneath everything. I was just having a lot of difficulty making that happen. That will be an early morning project when I'm rested, the lighting is better, and the garage temperature is under 90 degrees!