This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 PM

newstart18 is on a distinguished road
Default Vent window and exterior door handle replacement

Hello, I am trying to replace the vent windows and exterior door handles on my 1960 T-Bird. What I thought would be very easy has turned out to be anything but. I got the interior door panels off, but past that I am lost. I removed the bolts that hold the vent windows in place, but cannot get the windows out. There are threaded stems that stick through the holes in the door frame that keep me from being able to pull the window frame out. I can hardly even move it. Even the door handles were a bear, but at least I got those done. The interior screw was very difficult to reach. Can anyone help me with the vent windows? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Andy,
Them threaded studs are your adjustments for you window! It will come out, take you a small flashlight and look down inside door and see what is binding!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Get the proper sized allen wrench and turn all three of those "threaded stems" in (clockwise) at least a half inch or more, so you have some wiggle room. Plus there is one long bolt a few inches under the vent window that has to be completely removed, but you probably already know that.

When I overhauled my windows last winter, one side came out easy, and the other one was pinched in there pretty tight. It just the "luck of the draw" I guess.

Get yourself a Shop Manual for your car if you dont have one yet. It's full of all the tricks....
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey Andy,
Them threaded studs are your adjustments for you window! It will come out, take you a small flashlight and look down inside door and see what is binding!
Richard D. Hord
Thanks Richard. I tried turning the studs, one was very hard to turn, and one won't budge (it is the one at the top). If I can't turn this one, I am going nowhere. It's either rusted or a burr is holding it up (since it's internal, I can't see it.) I'll keep at it and maybe try to shoot some WD40 on it and hope for the best. Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
Get the proper sized allen wrench and turn all three of those "threaded stems" in (clockwise) at least a half inch or more, so you have some wiggle room. Plus there is one long bolt a few inches under the vent window that has to be completely removed, but you probably already know that.

When I overhauled my windows last winter, one side came out easy, and the other one was pinched in there pretty tight. It just the "luck of the draw" I guess.

Get yourself a Shop Manual for your car if you dont have one yet. It's full of all the tricks....
Thanks Dakota. As I told Richard, one of the studs won't budge at all (it is the one at the top). It's likely rusted or corroded (since it's internal, I can't see it.) I'll keep at it and maybe try to shoot some WD40 on it and hope for the best. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck. Any other ideas on a lubricant/rust solvent for the threads? Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Hey Andy,
Knocker loose is a good brand. WD-40 will help but as said before it is a water dispersant!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (7.7 KB, 61 views)
Registry #33436
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I was lucky enough to get my vent window assemblies OUT of the doors, but had to get medieval with the MAP gas torch on a few of those threaded stems.

Once I got them free, I cleaned the threads with a tap/die, and then coated the threads with anti-sieze before reassembling.

If you want to discuss vent/side/quarter window repair etc etc you can PM me and then we can chat over the phone.
I just finished mine this Spring, so the learning and suffering is still fresh in my mind.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
I was lucky enough to get my vent window assemblies OUT of the doors, but had to get medieval with the MAP gas torch on a few of those threaded stems.

Once I got them free, I cleaned the threads with a tap/die, and then coated the threads with anti-sieze before reassembling.

If you want to discuss vent/side/quarter window repair etc etc you can PM me and then we can chat over the phone.
I just finished mine this Spring, so the learning and suffering is still fresh in my mind.
Well, it continues. I have replacement vent windows with all the bolts and threaded studs included, and they are in GREAT shape. So, I decided to cut the top stud on the existing window off with a sawzall since I could not get it to budge with anything. After doing this, I STILL can't get the vent window out. I see no way to remove it without first removing the side windows - and I can't tell how to get those out either. Am I missing something? Is it necessary to remove the side window in order to get the vent window out?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Hey Andy,
You cannot take vent window out with out removing side window!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436