This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road
Default Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear

After having quite a "klonk" sound for a while, I found out that the bushings to the Upper Control Arm in the rear of my ī58 pretty much is gone.
Now, Looking for new ones ended up as a much harder than I thought.
In the end, the only Vendor who seems to have it in there catalog is Thunderbird Headquarter. I have mailed a few other but they donīt have it.
The "only" problem for me, is not that I donīt want to order from TBHQ, but the price. Most Rubber bushings seems to be priced quite fair around a few bucks each, but these ones are a tough one to take. They want 108 dollars for a pair, and I need 2 pairs...
Now, Is there any one out there who know if there is another bushing that might fit or have some tip how to fix this for less bucks
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Anders, I'm a little baffled. A HUNDRED BUCKS??? (picking myself up off the floor)

Check out this part number:
B8S-3068

It is an Upper Control Arm Bushing for a 1958-60 Thunderbird.

Mac's has 36 of them for US$6.95/each + shipping.

Am I missing something here? A lot of vendors have this part. Does your car have Air Bag Suspension? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Anders, I'm a little baffled. A HUNDRED BUCKS??? (picking myself up off the floor)

Check out this part number:
B8S-3068

It is an Upper Control Arm Bushing for a 1958-60 Thunderbird.

Mac's has 36 of them for US$6.95/each + shipping.

Am I missing something here? A lot of vendors have this part. Does your car have Air Bag Suspension? - Dave
Yes, I think you have the front control arm bushing, Anders is talking about the rear bushing.

Anders, I didn't think they were even available, there aren't many of our 58's around so I would guess the higher cost is due to the limited market and hence the higher production costs to make a small run of parts.

I would guess that I am not to far behind you though in needing to replace those bushings.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Red face

1958's have a rarer coil spring/trailer arm rear suspsension system instead of the 1959-60 rear leaf spring type.

I didn't know you could buy ANY 1958 rear suspension bushing seperate. I've only heard of the entire (pricey) kits!

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Last edited by tbird430 : 05-11-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to be contrary, but all my Ford books show the SAME bushing is required FOUR times on a 1958 Thunderbird. ('S' denotes, Thunderbird, 'A' denotes, All)

That means LH, RH, front, and rear bushings are the same.

Mac's agrees as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958FrontBushings.jpg (56.6 KB, 141 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 05-11-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: duplicate pic
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

That would be GREAT news. Macīs is the only who have not answered my mail so far.

Negative from Larrys ( but as usual, Mike Fisher spend time looking for other replacements ), negative from Dennis Carpenters and positive from TBHQ so far.
Dennis Carpenter did however suggested looking at www.kanter.com
But Iīm only in here for a few minutes to bring my Shop Manual back out to the garage, where I am trying to get the bolts out so I can have a look and measure.
NOT easy to get the bolts loose......

Thankīs for the effort all. Please let them flow
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear

Anders, I have been researching this for you. So far, I have talked with Bird Nest, Bob's Bird House, Concours Parts, Pat Wilson's, Dennis Carpenter, MAC's, Green Sales, Obsolete Parts, Tbird Products, Tbirds Southwest, Classic Cars Unlimited, partsetal and Rare Parts in California. So far, no luck. Several of them are doing some checking for me and will get back with me. However, Doug at Dennis Carpenter told me that his parts books shows that the rear Arm & Bushing Assembly for the rear upper control arm on a '58 Tbird is Part # B8S-5500-A. That part consists of a new control arm with the bushings on it. However, Don at Bird Nest told me that about the only way you are going to find that is as part of a bushing kit. He also told me that the bushings for the front cannot be used in the rear. They are different bushings in the rear.

I have been searching by that part number, but, so far, no one has it. Except that Rare Parts in California might... They have a Part #17846 which they call a rubber sleeve, which might be the rubber bushings. But the cost on that is $250.45 just for the bushings. Their Phone number is 209-948-6005 email alex@rareparts.com Bird Nest has the whole replacement kit, but it is like $795!

I am going to look for that part number that Dave gave us, but I was told that the four rubber bushings for the rear are NOT the same as those on the front, and neither are the control arms. Aren't there four rubber bushings for the front control arms? Two per side. If so, then you would think that kit would say 8 instead of 4. But then again, if they are the same bushings, one would have to order two kits, I guess, one kit for the front and one for the back? However, as I said, I am told that the front bushings are different from the rear bushings...

Back to hunting...

I just talked with Kanter. They do not show the rear upper control arm bushings in their stock. However, they were closing, and she is going to do some more looking tomorrow, not only for the bushings, but to see if they happen to have the rear control arms with the bushings in place.... She will let me know.

Dave, do your books say anything about the REAR Suspension Upper Arm Inner Shaft? Could that be Group 3062 instead of 3068? There must be a Group for the rear suspension.

It only gets worse... I just talked with the Vintage T-Bird Sanctuary up in Oregon. They also have the bushings kit that does both sides, upper and lower. $841.29 for the kit. This, like Bird Nests, I think, is just the bushings, nothing else.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-11-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

This was on here before and if I remember it wasn't easy! Eventually somebody will find a gm part that will work. Hate to say that@#%^^$
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

These rear suspension bits for the 58 were a low volume item and Ford was the only manufacturer/supplier of them. Now, 52 years later the NOS parts have dried up and some specialty houses have made complete sets, Rare Parts being the only one I know of. Over the past 5 years I have heard from 3 individuals who said they were going to make their own and several sets for me. None have been able to do so. I've provided samples and even the special sized tubing to bond the rubber to, but the projects have died on the vine. I know their cars are still being restored and they may get to it someday.
One solution I've heard of is to take a bushing catalog where bushings are listed by size ( I believe NAPA has one, and possibly Flagg has one) and find a bushing that resembles the correct one and modify it to fit. Another is to bite the bullet and pay the price to someone who has invested the resources in creating the correct ones.
The bushings in the link that Anders needs never were sold separately, only the link with the bushings was available. I believe a good mechanic could figure a way to make an existing bushing work.
Carl
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Here are the thread links showing the suspension parts and one solution. Haven't posted thread links before so not sure it will work - if not just search on "bushings" and scroll through the finds - should be the ones named "58 rear suspension" and "58 rear bushing archived information"

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...bushing&page=2

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...hlight=bushing

Think I had read also but could not find it that someone had replaced their swing axles with a standard leaf spring setup - probably not an option overseas though.

Eric
registry 5347