This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road
Default C6 transmission: kickdown question

No matter how much I adjust the little screw/device on the Holley carb (which actuates the kickdown rod that runs down to the trans), it seems the kickdown function works only about half the time at best.

Kinda weird. And frustrating.

Any ideas?

How much does the kickdown rod have to move for the kickdown to function? All the way, half the way?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:22 AM
KULTULZ

What is your application?

You have installed an aftermarket HOLLEY on your SQUAREBIRD and are using the HOLLEY kickdown instead of the origional bellcrank kick down?

The kick down is designed to be adjustable to get the gear change wherever the driver wants it.

I SEE NOW...

You have a 460 and C6 conversion.

Most likely, the HOLLEY kick down lever is not giving the kick down rod enough travel.

Are you using an OEM cable setup or LOKAR?

This- http://www.holley.com/20-41.asp -will give your kick down lever more travel if you are using one.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-31-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Super-Experienced

Yes, Lokar throttle cable and Lokar gas pedal. The gas pedal is set up for the full range of motion; not restricted in any way. All the slack in the throttle cable has been adjusted out.

Looks to me like the little Holley part you recommend could be the hot ticket.
Best thing about it is that it is only 7 bucks to try it
Old 05-31-2010, 11:21 AM
KULTULZ

Maybe before buying the extension you contact LOKAR TECH for a set of instructions. The cable in some applications has to be cut for length. Did you perform this swap or buy it?

-LOKAR KICKDOWN CABLE INSTALL-

Can you post a photo of the setup?

You have the cable connected to the HOLLEY (FORD STYLE) mechanical kick down lever?

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-31-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: ADD A QUESTION
Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Super-Experienced

I dont have the Lokar Kickdown cable, just the throttle cable. Motor, trans, carb... all that stuff was installed already when I got the car, but it was a very new installation, and I have been slowly working out the little odds-n-ends.

Kickdown function uses the bent rod, which I suppose was an OEM piece from whatever car was the donor of the transmission.

I believe that extension piece will be the trick, since I have the set-screw turned out as far (long) as it will go.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

OK. I understand now. That EXT is intended for your purpose then (OEM kick down rod).
Old 05-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Gary, you have an excellent handle on what's really happening. I just learned a few things about my linkage from you. Thanks.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Super-Experienced

Here's a photo of the current set-up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02092.jpg (464.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Super-Experienced

I have no idea what the mechanism is inside the transmission that performs the "kickdown" function. How would a person know if the transmission is the problem?

I have a Hurst V-Matic II shifter, and when in ratchet ("manual") mode, I can shift down from 3rd to 2nd with no issues.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

As Kultulz suggested, you need a dashpot to prevent your torque converter from stalling the engine.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca