This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yes, all AM radios have an antenna adjustment. Depending on the age, it could be a mechanical trim pot (like the Ford radio), or it could be solid state. Some mechanical trim pots are inside the radio, under the cover plate. They may have a hole in the cover so you can insert a PLASTIC adjustment tool. Consult your radio literature. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default Custom auto sound

I restored my car in 1996. I bought the radio at that time. I called the company today and spoke with a tech guy. He said that there was no outside adjustment for the radio. He said if it has a weak signal then the radio needs to be repaired. I tried everything, I used a ground wire on the small stud No improvement, I tightened the big nut under the base. No improvement. Then I loosened the cable going into the antenna. The radio played louder and the signal got better. It does not pick up all local stations the way it did, I guess the radio just isn't any good now. I thought it was the antenna. I guess I will have to accept it. The tape deck plays great.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
I recently got a antenna from the swap meet. It's brand new, in the box. I was getting a very weak signal so I decided to get another. I took the old one out. I looked at it and it had rust in the antenna mask also the antenna cable end that went into the antenna had rust on it. I put the new antenna in and turned the radio on and the reception is about the same, what have I done wrong?

The first antenna I installed when I restored the car got broken when a repairman closed the hood on it. It has never been the same after that.

The new antenna came with a plastic cap on the end of the cable was I supposed to keep that on the cable as I attached it to the bottom of the antenna?
Ray and I have tried to help, but you aren't up front with your info. Your first post says nothing about it being an aftermarket radio. We have given shop manual instructions including pictures for the Ford radio that came in your Thunderbird.

You obviously know the brand of radio because you called the company, but you wouldn't tell us the brand. Every statement I made is correct, based on the information you gave us. Truth is, none of your radio components are Ford parts.

Since you have an aftermarket radio and have spoke with the manufacturer regarding the reception problem, you should follow their instructions.

BTW, you said your cable had rust... Did you try a different cable with no rust?

If you decide to restore using an oem radio, we are here to help. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default Most helpful, thanks

I want to thank you guy's for your help with my radio problem. It has been along time since I have done any work on my car. I had forgotten that I had a after market radio in my T bird. When I started reading your illistations it made me remember that I have a Autosound radio. The time between the completion of my project and now is so long that The company has even changed names.

You guy's are doing a great job with the website. I have checked in a couple of times over the years and see that you are keeping it up and doing a wonderful job. I am very glad that the 58-60 Squarebirds have such a support site because these cars are under rated. They are almost factory customs.

I am going to start driving my car more often and letting folks see how advanced this design was for the 60's thanks again and keep up the good work, Rodney