This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default Radio antenna

I recently got a antenna from the swap meet. It's brand new, in the box. I was getting a very weak signal so I decided to get another. I took the old one out. I looked at it and it had rust in the antenna mask also the antenna cable end that went into the antenna had rust on it. I put the new antenna in and turned the radio on and the reception is about the same, what have I done wrong?

The first antenna I installed when I restored the car got broken when a repairman closed the hood on it. It has never been the same after that.

The new antenna came with a plastic cap on the end of the cable was I supposed to keep that on the cable as I attached it to the bottom of the antenna?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Rodney! Welcome to Squarebirds. I'm honored to answer your very first post.

You gave me a clue when you said, "It has never been the same after that."

There is an adjustment screw on the side of your radio. Since every antenna is a little different, this trim screw compensates for The difference.

There is a procedure you need to follow. If I remember right, you are to warm the radio for about twenty minutes, raise the antenna to its full extension, then tune in to a weak station at the high end of your dial (somewhere around 1300k~ to 16). Turn the volume down so you can just hear it, then slowly turn the adjustment screw either way until the signal comes in the strongest.

Let me know how it went. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Radio antenna

Hi Rodney, one of our members, bcomo, told me that when you change antenna's inside the antenna connection, there is a post that the antenna cable attaches/screws into. That post is supposed to have a rubber/plastic piece around it to keep the antenna from grounding out. If it is not there, it will. You might look up inside your antenna base and see what you see. I need to ask him about this again because I am changing out my antenna and need to get this fresh in my mind. I will let you know what he says.

That plastic cap on the end of your cable was probably there just to protect the cable end.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Experienced

Default Radio

If I remove the bottom cover(under the radio) will I be able to find the screw to tune the radio?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Radio antenna

The trimmer is on the bottom of the radio at the back right corner of it, looking from the front. It is below the antenna connector on the bottom panel of the radio. Turn your radio on, letting it warm up, and tune it to the lowest signal you can hear between 12 and 16 on the dial. Turn the volume control down until you can just barely hear that weakest signal. Turn the trimmer and see if it gets louder. If it does, keep turning it until it gets as loud as you can get it. If it starts getting weaker, reverse the turning and go back to where it is the loudest. Then turn up the volume and see whatcha got!

I am waiting for Bart to call me back about that radio antenna connection. If you were to look in the bottom of your antenna base, there is a male connection sticking out of the base from the antenna itself. IF I remember correctly, Bart said that shaft (about an inch long) has to have a piece of rubber slid over it or it will short out the signal. That is what I remember, but I need to get him to tell me about this again. I will let you know what he has to say.

Here are pix of the radio set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '59 Tbird Radio001.jpg (119.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg '59 Tbird Radio2.jpg (146.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg '59 Tbird Radio003.jpg (125.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg '59 Tbird Radio004.jpg (141.4 KB, 59 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Slow Typist

Yes. Here are the Service Manual instructions for your '60 T-bird:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60T-birdRadioTrim.jpg (128.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 60T-birdRadioTrim2.jpg (138.5 KB, 61 views)

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Slow Typist

Figure 4 shows the radio on its side. Facing the radio, the trim pot is on the Right Hand side. It is the only adjustment on the radio chassis.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Radio antenna

Bart returned my call. He said that he cut off about a 1/8" length of rubber tubing, like from a length of windshield wiper vacuum tubing. Then he slid that all the way down over that male center post to its base, on the bottom of the antenna base. He said that keeps the antenna from grounding out once you hook up the antenna cable to the antenna. If you have your antenna off, and turn it upside down and look in the base you will see the metal male center piece. That is the one he is talking about.

He also said it is best to shut the hood while you are making adjustments to that trimmer. The hood can interfere with the adjustment of the weak signals. Let us know how you are doing!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Experienced

Default custom sound radio

I forgot to mention that my radio is a custom sound replacement. Would it still have the tuning adjustment?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Radio antenna

If the radio is not the original Squarebird radio it may not have a tuning adjustment. You might have to find the schematic for it and see if it does and where it is located at. Or contact the company you bought it from and ask them if it does and where it is located at.

"It's Hip To Be Square"