This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
It would be good to know who this guy is!

http://www.freewebs.com/squarebird/parts.htm
On "members page" this guy is called "Travlin", so he have been here before.
http://www.squarebirds.org/users/travlin/index.htm

I have also looked inte the parts he use ( 18098 ), but these are not near the original Ford product that came with the car as there are no rubber at all. I guess this might work for a while, but the ride will be quieter with rubber than with the hard plastic as they might perhaps make up for the gaps, they will most probably not damper any movement, so I feel a bit unsure about them. The homecooked rubberbushings seems like a better idea.
I have now found a place who do parts in rubber for industrial purpose, also in small quantity, and even if I doubt I can afford it, they are located less than 3 minutes from my house ( how about THAT ) so I need to visit them on monday ( as we have a long weekend here starting tomorrow) , and see what they might have in the scrapbox.....
To be continued!
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 05-12-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Upper Suspension ( control ) Arm Bushings, Rear

Yes, this appears to be Travlin ~ JD, out of Florida. He owns or owned a '58. '59 & a '60 Squarebird. This pix on his web page that Anders posted of his '58 looks just like the one on his web pages. Travelin has not been on the site since around this time last, in 2007. He joined way back in 2004. I do have an email address for him, if it is still valid.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
Just talked to Sandra at Steele Rubber Products (www.steelerubber.com) 1-800-544-8665 She informed me that they have these bushings and any other rubber products for these old Thunderbirds! You need to call and ask for Trent Poole.
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM

We might getting there!!!

I just recieved a mail from Dave at TBHQ that confirmed that it was a urethane bushings, just like the one on Travlins "part page". ( You will come to his web by clicking on the picture on the link ). Now, Dave have his own restoration company as well www.adamsautoclassics.com. and said he was not realy happy with these bushings as he have used them himself on his ī58. Honest guy. Like him already!

Donīt know if I can describe on phone to Mr Poole, but I will anyhow have a look at there web. Itīs getting there. I can feel it!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
Ebay item number #370380001807
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Two minor problems with that item:
1: They donīt send outside USA.
2: The bushings I need is not in that package.......

I also looked at www.steelrubber.com but the only bushings for upper control arms is for front suspension. Not the rear

Bushing, control arm. Upper inner. Replaces factory #AJ-3068-A. Thunderbird. 2 required per side.
20-1276-32.....$ 16.00/ea.
Bushing, control arm. Replaces factory #B4A-3069. 2 required per side.
1954-56: Ford only;
1955-59: Thunderbird.
20-1279-32.....$ 10.50/ea.

I was upbeat there for a second....

Last edited by Anders : 05-12-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Keep in mind that eBay kit seems to be for the FRONT ends only. No mention is made of it working on the '58 rear ends.

Also, JohnG is gonna grab this thread and put it in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) for use by '58 owners who need this information in the future...

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Since this is a hot spot right now I just want to let folks out side of the USA there are folks here that will happily accept delivery and forward onto you where-ever you are at incase its ever needed, just let us know!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Hear, Hear!! I second that!! Way to go, Cathie! You betcha!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM

Murphys law
Itīs something with Rear Upper Control Arm on a ī58. No wonder it was a one year solution.
After removing one of these arms, I was in a good mood to loose the other. First bolts on the rear axle vent like a charm. But the front one on the left side of the car kind of never came out, even if the bolt rotated....
It seems as the bolt on the inside have either got loose from itīs weld or something similar. Nevertheless it spins around. That wouldnīt be much of a problem if it wasnīt for that itīs inside the supportframe and the cup / bowl that holds the spring. Itīs not possible to reach it ( or even see it ) less than cut up the cup /bowl, loosen the nut before veld it back and then veld the cup / bowl again..... Thatīs what I call a bad design.
I got 2 options here. One is to find new bushings and only change 3 of them...I mean, I have driven without any of them since I bought the car as I didnīt find the reason for the "klonk-sound" until a few weeks ago. The other would be to take down the whole rear axle, springs and everything and start cutting up the car in the hunt for the bolt. As I was planning to take out the engine, transmission and the rear axle after the summer for a long winter project, in order to change gaskets and stuff to avoid as much leakage as possible, and clean up the engine bay, there might be an idea to cancell this season already now and do the job properly. I hate quick-fix, so I usually go the "do-it-right" way, but I was looking forward to drive this summer as well....
Iīm depressed.

Last edited by Anders : 05-13-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling... always spelling....