This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Transmission Doesn't Shift

Can't help with the linkage ??, but vacuum was not used until 61.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

I forgot. I'm sorry, my trans is 64-65 Merc issue. It does have manual detent linkage though. Stock 1960 issue, I believe.
The trans in my 65 TB shifts totally differently though, runs at least 10 mph faster in every gear before shifting . . . and downshifts with the least amount of throttle. Different valving I guess.

John
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 05-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Experienced

peeeot

Hey. It's been a while since I've been on the forum, and I've taken a step away from my bird in the meantime. But today, I spent some more time thinking about it...

I never posted on it but a few weeks ago I removed the governor and inspected it. It moved freely and looked brand new, squeaky clean. It made me wonder whether this transmission had perhaps received an overhaul in the recent past (by mileage, not necessarily time).

Is it worth my while to take the transmission pan off, replace the filter, change the fluid, etc? It has clean Dexron 3 in it now.

What is the likelihood that improper band adjustment is at fault?

I've done every mechanical/linkage adjustment to the best of my ability.

If I can get this transmission to shift at a low cost, I'd really like to.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Highly likely on the band. I was ready to throw in the towel and C6 it. My buddy (old time Ford guy) adjusted mine. Set both bands, serviced it. Also adjusted the linkage and modulator. Shfts like a B&M now. Might puke tomorrow. Prob run 10 years. When this combo goes, its time for the "Big Motor". And a C6. We'll see. All good now. The 390 built by S & S Eng runs like a tall horse !!!!!!

JB
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I can't remember, is the band adjustment procedure something that a home mechanic can handle? I looked at the procedure a while back but I think it scared me away... Doesn't the pan have to come off for one of the bands?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Hmmm, might want to consult a tranny guy (an old timer pref) There are special tools req. If you follow the instructions in the Svc/manual, it says to remove the ctr/console and access plate from the floorboard-tunnel area. My guy said this wasn't necc. He was a trans man for Ford for 25+ yrs before he opened his shop. It does shift good now. Definently drop the pan and check that too. Service it (Do a flush) A standard service just drains the pan only and removes aprox 3-4 qts. When they flush it with the cooler lines that run to the radiator, you get a compl fluid change This gets rid of all the old fluid (in the Tq/Converter too).

Good luck!!!

John
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I took the bird out for a brief spin yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks, and lo and behold, it shifted! Only once though, I think.

I was driving it below 30 mph in D2 when I felt and heard a definite shift into 3rd gear. It came when I was rolling down a little hill. I drove it some more afterward to try to replicate the shift, but ifit shifted, I didn't hear/feel it. I DID think it sounded like it was in 3rd once or twice, but I don't know for sure.

Does this have any bearing on my troubleshooting? Maybe I just need to drive it more....
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you need to take it out n' run it !!!!!
Run along about 40 or 50 MPH, then kick it in the butt. See if it drops into 2nd. Start in low and see if it goes thru the gears. Driving normal, mine will shift into 2nd at about 20 mph, then into 3rd about 30. The more throttle, the longer the shft points. Wide open, it shifts into 2nd at 45-50 and into 3rd at 70.

I think you just need to service it and adj (both) bands. Then run it !!!!!

JB
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Experienced

peeeot

Update!

I took the car to a local fellow and when he was done with it I drove home, the transmission was shifting. He said that the governor valve was rusty and sticking. He also said the mechanical linkages were out of adjustment.

I had pulled the governor valve myself, and it looked immaculate to me. He acted like there was a part inside of the parts I examined that was rusty. I can't remember what the part looked like well enough to know for sure, but since it was working I took his word for it.

Today, however, I took the car for a spin, and there was once again no shifting. I drove up to 25 mph with minimal throttle and no shift to second gear.

If he'll work on it more for free, I'll bring it back to that guy, or at least request a refund or something... I really want this to work.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you need to go faster than 25 miles an hour. It should shift by then, but not if the detent is out of adj, or the gvnr is sticking as he says.
Take it out on the freeway !!!
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner