This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

No, If I hold the shift lever up it still stays in neutral, but before I did my new detent plate I could hold it up to get it into park. I think the new detent plate is more precise. I'll check the linkage according to the manual instructions this weekend.
The old detent plate was in good shape, so I don't think the notches are rounded off, but I didn't really check it when I had it apart. The car had sat un-run for 15 years and the tranny was about 6 quarts low so who knows what shape it's in. I believe the car only has 95,000 original miles.
Thx for the help!
- Dave J.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Super-Experienced

Hey John, what page are those linkage adjustment instructions on, I didn't see them.
thx, Dave J
Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It's on 4-20 of the 1959 shop manual. The photo is on 4-18.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Super-Experienced

Thx John, not sure how I missed that, I think I was perusing through the photo's and went right by it.
- Dave
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Super-Experienced

Forgot to tell you John that I adjusted the set nut and it goes into park and stays there.
thx, Dave
Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post
The old detent plate was in good shape, so I don't think the notches are rounded off,
- Dave J.
Did you check the end of the shift-lever?

Mine was worn down and rounded, I got it built uo with some hard-face weld and re-shaped it.

I use a cutting disc to make a deeper Park notch so now it STAYS in Park.

Also deepened the Neutral notch.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Super-Experienced

No, I just replaced the detent plate cuz it was very sloppy and wouldn't stay in park. Now that it stay's in park I'm good. I plan to replace the tranny with a 4 or five on the floor so it's only temporary.
thx
Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Apprentice

mvonhobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post
Mathew, did you find out what was wrong with your car not staying in gear? I replaced my detent plate yesterday, and thx to the instructions from the good people here on Squarebirds it went great. However, I have the same problem as you. Before replacement I had sloppy shifting and grinding in between park, reverse, neutral, and drive. That's still the same now that I've replaced the detent except now it locks into park very nicely but it acts like it's in neutral. Weird feeling to put her in park all nice and secure, let off the brake, and she just rolls down the driveway. Good thing my park brake is tight. The other gears act like they should in proportion to the shift plate. It's just Park that doesn't "park", and sloppy feeling to reverse, neutral, and drive.
Anyone seen this before?
thx!
I had the tranny worked on by a local yokel who started working at Ford in the late 50's! That solved most of the remaining issue. Still, though, now and again it still really needs to be PURPOSEFULLY placed in PARK, sometimes a coupla times as it would like to pop into "R" (for race!).
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Super-Experienced

Hey Matthew, you guys are just north of us a bit but lower in altitude. I think you are about like Albuquerque, 5200 feet? Hear in Los Alamos we're at 7000. Can you tell me what your T- bird vacuum pressure typically reads by any chance. I guess the altitude makes a difference in vacuum readings.
Also see this link to check out an old turquoise T-bird I found clost to the NM and Colorado border. https://picasaweb.google.com/1014928...K6DyoHpu5DvyQE
regards, dave
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Experienced

triple60squares is on a distinguished road

any chance one of these plates are still availible? if so how much?

appearently i need one my new 60 doesnt have park i hope its because of this plate and not a trans problem i havent dug into it yet to figure it out just tryin to get some ducks in a row