This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

JCLipka is on a distinguished road
Default Detent Plate installed..Shifter still real sloppy.

I had hoped that the detent plate would solve the issue with my sloppy shifter, but I still have to hold it in Park to start up, and my shifter has just as much slop in it as it ever did...
Suggestions?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Red face

I would get a new "7210" shift lever then next, they are around $35 dollars. If that doesnt help solve ur problem and ur linkages are all okay, u will new to fork out a lil more cash for the shift collar housing. They are around $90-100 bucks through the T-Bird restoration vendors I think...

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 AM

GA59Bird
Default Detent Plate for 65

Does anyone know how to replace the dentent plate on a 65? Is there a diagram posted that I can use like the one above for the Square Bird?
Thanks,
John
Old 05-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Ordered a new detent plate for Pearl last week (dont know if she needs one, but better to be safe than sorry), and it is here in Australia already. The envelope was marked Sosiak, so the girls are still filling orders - thank you immensely Alexanders family!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Bill glad to see that you have a new detent plate for Pearl as you are right better safe than sorry. I ordered one for my 60HT for the same reason and boy do they work great and so solid. Marianne ( Alexander's sister ) is looking after the detent plate orders and yes she has the two (2) girls, one of which Kate10 visits our site from time to time.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Dan, you're exactly right - I put one of Alexander's in my '62 and it's superb.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe
Default Detent place, et.al.

I ordered a detent plate way too long ago - got it mailed to me directly from Alex, bless him!
FINALLY tackled the project; I'd ordered a new shift collar and shift lever and bushings - ordered by fax on a Tuesday, delivered Friday. Now that's service!
The thing I was most concerned about went relatively smoothly; disassembling the turn signal module and NOT losing the springs. Putting it back together took about 20 minutes. Had to snip the horn wire but used a butt splice with shrink tube with success.
It was the roll pin that remains SOMEwhere in that Bird having found a really good hiding place SOMEwhere on the floor :-( Very happily, NAPA had one - 32. Until I got out to NAPA the shift lever was held in place with the same punch I used to drive the old roll pin out! A bit of a wrestle getting the shift lever in. Unfastened most of the items I'd already reinstalled, inserted the shift lever, then refastened.
So shifting is now nice and tight. Putting the lever in "park" still won't hold the car in place but the Bird is scheduled for a tranny "look-see" next Monday. It lurches when placed into gear and won't up-shift unless I ease up a bit on the accelerator (and who wants to ease up when yer comin' off the stop light?!). It WILL automatically downshift to 1st, or Low, when I come to a stop. Found a well-recommended tranny shop; the owner went to work for Ford in the mid-50's and has plenty o' spare parts for the Squares if needed. Betting (hoping?) it's just some adjustment that's needed.
Then, either repair or replace the vacuum wipers, look at installing an instrument cluster voltage regulator, tackle the suspension, and finally the interior.
What's everyone else doing w/ their Birds this spring?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default New Detent Plates for 1958-1960 Thunderbirds available.

I am glad to hear you got most of the problems fixed with the shifting. The problem of it not locking fully in place might very well be down at the tranny itself. It could just be an adjustment. It sounds like you have found yourself someone who knows their Ford trannys and that is good. If you are going to work on those vacuum windshield wipers, take a look at the Technical Resource Library under my signature element. You will find in the TRL, the information on ordering and installing the electric wiper motor. I will never go back to the vacuum motor! It is well worth the money spent.

BTW, just so ya'll do know this, when Alexander passed away, Marianne, his sister, stepped in and took over the detent plate program. She has all detent plates from 1958-1966, as I recall, plus the others listed on our Home page. So if you click on the order link, your order will go to her and she will process, complete it and ship the item to you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Mathew, did you find out what was wrong with your car not staying in gear? I replaced my detent plate yesterday, and thx to the instructions from the good people here on Squarebirds it went great. However, I have the same problem as you. Before replacement I had sloppy shifting and grinding in between park, reverse, neutral, and drive. That's still the same now that I've replaced the detent except now it locks into park very nicely but it acts like it's in neutral. Weird feeling to put her in park all nice and secure, let off the brake, and she just rolls down the driveway. Good thing my park brake is tight. The other gears act like they should in proportion to the shift plate. It's just Park that doesn't "park", and sloppy feeling to reverse, neutral, and drive.
Anyone seen this before?
thx!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If the lever locks in park but it feels like you are in neutral it sounds like your shift linkage needs adjustment. If you hold the shift lever up will it lock the transmission in park. There's a fairly simple procedure in the shop manual for adjusting it. The sloppiness could be the gear shift lever. Did you check to see if the notches are sharp or rounded off.

Last edited by jopizz : 07-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.