This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default New Detent Plates for 1958-1960 Thunderbirds available.

Yes, the Detent plates are available. You can order from the HOME page, using PayPal or pay by check. All the Detent Plates we have are orderable from the HOME page. Something else to check out is the tranny shift right at the bottom of the steering wheel in the engine bay. That piece, after 50+ years gets worn, causing shifting problems. There is a rod that comes off it and goes to the tranny to shift. It is available for replacement. Here is what it looks like. It is called the Shift Tube Selector Arm and you can see how badly mine was worn. Also check the Neutral Switch on the bottom of the steering wheel where it meets that lower dash panel.

Thanks for letting me know I forgot to post the picture! Here are a couple more showing a new one that is not worn like my old one was, and the steering wheel shaft with the Shift Tube Selector Arm at the bottom of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShiftTubeSelectorArm-1.jpg (74.0 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 1958-1960TbirdSteeringColumn-1.jpg (30.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg ShiftTubeSelectorArm.jpg (19.4 KB, 208 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-04-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Additional info and picture
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Yes, the Detent plates are available. You can order from the HOME page, using PayPal or pay by check. All the Detent Plates we have are orderable from the HOME page. Something else to check out is the tranny shift right at the bottom of the steering wheel in the engine bay. That piece, after 50+ years gets worn, causing shifting problems. There is a rod that comes off it and goes to the tranny to shift. It is available for replacement. Here is what it looks like. It is called the Shift Tube Selector Arm and you can see how badly mine was worn. Also check the Neutral Switch on the bottom of the steering wheel where it meets that lower dash panel.
Hi Ray, your post is missing the picture. I'm interested to know what this looks like also as I too have sloppy shifting.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Experienced

Thanks, Ray!

I wonder if the shift selector tube is what I need in addition to the detent plate.

My biggest problem is that it's hard to find the gears. It's especially difficult finding park. I'll pull the gear selector all the way up and place it into the park detent, but it rarely goes in the first time. I feel the car roll and it'll make a grinding noise as if something isn't quite meshed in right.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default New Detent Plates for 1958-1960 Thunderbirds available.

Here is what I have been told by others. This problem can be a combination of several problems that have developed over years of wear and tear on parts. One is the Detent Plate. Another is a worn tip on the end of the shift lever at the steering wheel. Another is a worn connection in the round cup/collar that the shift lever screws into. Another is adjusting the Neutral Switch. Another is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm. Another is a worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny, which attaches to the tranny and shifts it into the PRNDL positions.

In addition to the above, it could also be a worn, shot of missing rubber bushings down at the tranny or a worn parking pawl inside the tranny. Or it could be the shift linkage needing an adjustment.

Frank, one of our Down Under members, has had many years of experience working on the COM tranny and this problem. He swears that often it is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm that is the culprit here. But it could also be the other areas too.

I hope this helps. Others might be able to amplify on this too.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-26-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Here is what I have been told by others. This problem can be a combination of several problems that have developed over years of wear and tear on parts. One is the Detent Plate. Another is a worn tip on the end of the shift lever at the steering wheel. Another is a worn connection in the round cup/collar that the shift lever screws into. Another is adjusting the Neutral Switch. Another is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm. Another is a worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny, which attaches to the tranny and shifts it into the PRNDL positions.

Frank, one of our Down Under members, has had many years of experience working on the COM tranny and this problem. He swears that often it is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm that is the culprit here. But it could also be the other areas too.

I hope this helps. Others might be able to amplify on this too.
Thank you, Ray. This is definitely a big help. Sometimes I even have trouble starting the car. I have to hold the shift lever up to engage the neutral safety switch. This'll be one of those little projects that I need to do this year.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Experienced

Buckaroo is on a distinguished road
Default Shift Tube Selector Arm

I have replaced the detent plate and it goes and stays in park. However, when I move it to other gears they are way off the indicator. I assume now it is the shift tube selector arm. How difficult is it to replace it? I assume the entire steering column must come out. I am pretty good at most mechanical things on a car but do not want to get in over my head.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Before tearing apart the steering column try adjusting the manual shift linkage first. Also did you try readjusting the indicator plate. There are slots where the screws go so you can move it if the pointer doesn't line up with the letters.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Last edited by jopizz : 09-26-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Experienced

I am replacing the shift lever in my 58 tbird. I am wondering if I need a new shift collar. Should the hole in the shift collar where the roll pin goes be perfectly round or should it be oblong front to back. The shift lever did not have any rubber bushing left at the end and the "notches" are smaller than the new one. I have already replaced the detent plate.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The hole should be round. If it's oblong it's worn.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Experienced

That is what I was afraid of. The hole is probably 3 times longer than it is wide. A new one will be ordered today.