This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Experienced

peeeot
Default RE: Faulty voltage regulator?

Today I lowered the float level about 1/16 inch. At first this improved the idle quality, but ultimately I still had some bizarre behavior:

Even though float level is all I changed, my timing (according to the light) changed from 6 degrees btdc (where I left it last time the car was running) to 1 degree btdc between the last time I ran it (yesterday) and today. I'm baffled.

I had the engine idling pretty well at 700 rpm, with 18 inches of vacuum. I turned the car off. 3-5 minutes later, I started it again. It then idled at 600 rpm, very poorly, with 16.5 inches vacuum. I changed nothing.

With the throttle held steady and the engine spinning 1500 rpm or more, I can see fuel spraying out of the little holes in the booster venturis. Is that normal?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I think your harmonic balancer is worn. This happens with time. The rubber that is sandwiched between the two metal rings dries out and no longer keeps the two pieces in sync. There is slippage, so your timing by the light is inaccurate. It is best to set your timing by rpm and vacuum.

If your harmonic balancer is shifting so much, you may ant to think about replacing it or rebuilding it. The repros do not look anything like the original, but there are shops that put new rubber in the balancer.

I once saw a harmonic balancer come apart on a Squarebird at a national show, so these pieces do have a limited lifespan.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 03-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Experienced

peeeot

You're probably right, but when I've been setting the timing, I have been on one side of the car holding the distributor and turning it with my eyes planted on a vacuum gauge while my father has been on the other side with the timing light and the tachometer. Every time we've done this, the engine has idled the best from every standpoint when adjusted to around 6 degrees, as it appears on the balancer.

I can understand how the balancer would shift, giving a different reading, but why would the distributor position need to be readjusted in this manner? I know I have the hold-down boat secured well enough.

If it's really loose enough to shift so much, I'm going to see if I can rotate the balancer by hand.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Are you running points? The cam lobe on the distributor can be worn causing erratic point action and thus affect your timing. A conversion to a Pertronix or Mallory Unilite pointless system can solve this.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 03-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I tried moving the outside part of the balancer by hand, but couldn't.

I am running points, but the distributor is new.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I played around with the car some more this weekend. I'm pleased to report that there was no more bizarre timing behavior.

I tried lowering the float level several times, about 1/16" at a time, and each time something improved. Ultimately, I lowered both floats approximately 3/16 inch. Here is what changed:

When I opened the throttle enough to bring the primary fuel system into action, I saw a mist of fuel coming out of the booster venturis instead of a spray like before.

I was able to tune the car up to a pretty stable 19 inches of vacuum.

When I pulled the spark plugs, they didn't look normal, but they finally didn't look really rich.

Idle quality was not fantastic, and I was still getting the putt sound, though I think less frequently.

The engine ran pretty smoothly in every rpm range I tried except for the range just before the primary fuel system started operating, I think around 1100 rpm.

At this point the float level is way below spec, but my spark plugs don't look as rich and I don't see fuel spraying out of the venturis. The best idle I've achieved was at a much higher float setting.

The jets I have are 48 primary and 60 secondary. They might say 48F.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to iron things out?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Experienced

peeeot

Ugh.

Well, I'm pretty sure I've found the source of my troubles. A compression test revealed a reading of 150 psi on all cylinders. After adding 30 weight oil to one of the cylinders, that reading jumped up to the 180 psi spec.

I don't know how I managed it, but apparently I put in the wrong rings. It explains the excessive blowby and, I think, why I'm having such a hard time getting it running the way I'd like. It still accelerates with oomph, but.....

I sure feel dumb.