This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Yellow Rose's Paint Job

Hi Dave!

Thanks for the safety tips! Yes, they have quite a lot of things in the safety section. In fact, that place is loaded with stuff from top to bottom! I did buy a full face shield, instead of goggles. It was only like a buck more. I figured it was a better way to go. Just flip it down in front of my face and I dont think it will get in the way of my glasses.

I got a good set of leather gloves, but won't wear them running the grinder. Thanks for that tip. I don't think I would have worn them anyway, but it is good to know what can happen if you have them on. Thanks for the tip on polishing stainless. I think that Ryobi will spin at 3,600rpm, as I recall. I dont have any stainless to clean now, but I will keep that in mind.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Ray - been so busy trying to get my garage in order don't think I "offically" said how sorry I was to hear about Rose playing chicken with the truck and loosing but have followed it in the posts. Looking much better now and like everyone else can't wait for the outcome - I'm sure it will be as spectacular as the interior.

On the Harbor Freight tools - they are pretty cheap but the quality is only average. I have a saws-all (Chicago Tools) from Harbor that has worked great on the other hand I have a grinder - same brand - and the handle is already broken plus after about 3 times using it the brushes wore out. I went in and asked for a set of replacement brushes and may as well have asked for a thermonuclear detonator. Had to make a set to fit it but they worked and the grinder is still grinding.

Good luck on finding those bumper bolts - is there an interchange for like a Galaxie, truck, or some other Ford product that uses the same bolt - maybe you would have better luck asking some of the used parts suppliers for bumper bolts if you could give them a few different models to pull from?

Eric
registry 5347
Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Hi Eric!

I have been keeping up with what you have been doing also! Thanks for the info on Harbor Freight. I like this Chicago tumbler! I just did my second load of hardware and will open it up in a bit to see what they look like. It ran for nearly 6 hours this time.

As for bumper bolts, probably most of the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Edsels made back in that time period use the same bumper bolts, I would suspect. However, partsetal has what I am needing, so I am getting a supply from him. Those that I have that are in good condition except for rust on the bolts will get a turn on the wire wheel later tonight. The other ones that have damaged heads I will probably just throw away.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Apprentice

troubsullivan is on a distinguished road

hey ray, that tumbler sounds like a good deal. what else (and how big) can you throw in there besides nuts and bolts? i assume it is a dry unit and greasy bits would be a no go?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Hey Troub! Yes, it is a dry unit, not meant for wet or water based media, or rock tumbling. It is strictly a metal tumbler. It is meant for removing rust, burrs, or polishing small parts. Also for removing grease or other contaminants. I am using the small green pyramid shaped plastic media made for this machine. It is a Chicago Model 93252. It is only meant for small parts, and no more than 5lbs of stuff in there, including the media. You fill the bowl 2/3's full of media and then put your parts in there. I am really pleased with how it has been taking off 50 years of rust off the bumper hardware and other parts. You can run it from 2-6 hours. I ran it for 5 hours the last time. Here is a pic of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChicagoTumbler.jpg (32.8 KB, 89 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-22-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default harbor freight

I have been dealing with Harbor Freight for over 28 yrs. I actually met the two gentlemen who own it several years ago at the Miami Boat show. I say gentlemen because at that time they had to be in their mid 70's. I have a HF around the corner from where I work and it is like a magnet...the truck goes by HF and starts to pull to that side. I tend to stay away from their electrical items although the tumbler is something I wouldnt have a problem buying. Mostly I use things that are non-electrical such as my 12ton press, cherry picker, media blast cabinet, English wheel etc. I have bought a lot of bottle jacks from them as well as consumables. Shipping can be an issue if you dont have one locally. Grant
Old 04-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Apprentice

troubsullivan is on a distinguished road

thanks ray and grant! i have a HF locally and have been interested in a media blasting cabinet for a while although i think the tumbler you have ray would be a cool garage addition as well! grant, has your cabinet worked well for you and what size air compressor are you running?
thanks again,
pat
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 AM

While I have been busy ordering a new trunk seal and bumper bolts, they have continued prepping Rose for painting. The doors will be coming off next and the interior sealed. They will paint the inside doors, trunk interior, trunk lid and hood first, is my understanding. We are getting there...

http://thunderbirds.fortunecity.com/...rdPaintJob.htm

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default love it

I love my cabinet. It is an older one and they dont offer it any more. Mine has doors on either side for loading which I wanted so I could reach through to pull heavy items in. If it didnt have that I think I would have to look at one where the top opens. Mine has a different gun then the new ones so I cant say how the new ones work but mine works great. Eastwood offers a gun that looks like mine (probably what mine is a knock off of) that fits HF cabinets. I have a 5 HP 175psi 80gal compressor that I use for it and my "outside" blaster. I am now coveting the little tumbler for the shop and small parts.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Here are the pix I took of the chrome yesterday and last night. They are not the best pix because I find chrome hard to take pictures of without making them look somewhat black..

http://thunderbirds.fortunecity.com/...rdPaintJob.htm

"It's Hip To Be Square"