This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Experienced

saverio is on a distinguished road
Wink Cost of paint job

Hi Ray,
well needless to say I have postponesd my paint job,but ai was wondering what neighborhood are you in for the cost of the paint job. Not that I could make the trip,but I may start searching again,the prices I have been estimated are all over the board.

Here's an update, they changed my meds to an opium patch that i change every 3 days- I am flying without a plane or bird.

sal

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Yellow Rose's Paint Job

Hi Sal!

I hope that your treatment is going well for you. I can imagine that you probably are flying without a plane or a car with that treatment! Good luck in your recovery! I will PM you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 AM

Yesterday, we went over the test paint samples that JD's painter Tony did. Everything looks okay. It is difficult to get an exact match with that interior yellow material. What was selected is as close a yellow color as we can find. Painting starts next week.

Today, I ran the chrome out to SW Chrome and we broke it down for chroming. You will see the results of that on the web page. I just posted about a half dozen pix. Here is the link to it.

http://thunderbirds.fortunecity.com/...rdPaintJob.htm

JD sez she should be finished and totally put back together in 3 more weeks. If we make that schedule, that will give me a month to get the interior all cleaned up again, and get her ready to go to the VTCI Regional. I will wait on the disc brake job until after that is over. I have new seals, gaskets and some other chrome parts coming in, like new Tbird emblems, etc. They should be here next week.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Sal just a quick hello and hang in there with these meds. You will have plenty of time after you beat this thing, to fly in your bird with your new paint.
58HT #33317
Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Apprentice

troubsullivan is on a distinguished road

hey ray, just curious as to what condition those bumper bolts were in and how hard/easy the bumpers came off?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 AM

I would imagine that those bumper bolts have been on there all of Rose's life. If not, pretty close to it. They were rusty, of course, and with a good shot of WD-40 on each, and a good air gun, they came off pretty well. A couple of them came out using a couple of wrenches, but the air gun was much faster. I found out that it is not smart to pick one of those bolts up after using an air gun on them. They do get hot! I also found out that I still have pretty good reflexes, because I can drop a hot bumper bolt pretty quickly still!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to see what Ray comes up wiyh next. Looking Good Ray

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 AM

Just wait til you see pix of her! I have spent much of the weekend and so far this week, working on two projects regarding Rose. One was to find a new trunk seal and I did. Bob's Bird House has one coming my way. Then I got into conversations with partsetal regarding cleaning chrome bumper bolts and hardware that has rusted up after 50 years. He suggested that I consider using a tumbler with blasting media to clean them up. Or use a wire wheel or brush. Or polishing them bumper bolt heads. I took them to see about getting them re-chromed. Florencio polished all the good ones for me and they look nice now. However, about half of them have dings, dimples or gashes in them and need to be replaced.

Does anyone know where I can get some nice original Squarebird chromed bumper bolts? I talked to some of the vendors and there is no chromed bumper bolt kit out that that they know of. I guess I can get some at one of the local auto parts store. However, the last one I bought had course threads instead of fine threads and was about a quarter of an inch longer. If I remember correctly, the square part under the head was larger than the holes in the bumper and that certainly did not help matters.

I have been working on installing a Ryobi grinder in my garage for bolt cleaning. I took the two grinder wheels off and put on a polish wheel and a wire wheel. I need to get a board cut, but my power saw is out. It, apparently, is shot. My next door neighbor will cut that board for me tomorrow. That board will be my base to mount the grinder to. I do not have a lot of room in my garage, so it will not be sticking out very far. I have to make sure I leave room to get Rose inside when she gets back home.

Yesterday afternoon, I was out buying more bumper hardware, mostly nuts, and washers. Then I decided to stop by Harbor Freight, which I had never heard of before until Carl told me about it. They have more stuff in there than you can imagine. I found the Chicago Electric Equipment tumbler I was looking for and the cleaning media. It is the round one with a green top that looks like a big pumpkin. It is made for cleaning metal, and not rocks. I loaded it up with media, and a bunch of bolts, nuts, and washers and let it do its thing for about four hours. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it got all the rust off! Some of these pieces of hardware were really rust coated. I plan on dumping another load in and cleaning them to, though I do not need them. They are the pieces that I will not be using, but they are the originals. I am trying to get as much stainless steel hardware on the car as possible instead of the old stuff to cut back on rust.

So I am staying busy doing things I can do while they are doing things at the paint shop they do.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Bumper Bolts

It is great that we have people on our Forum who have a ton of parts available. Carl ~ partsetal, answered my email that I sent him and said this.

"In the world of bumper bolts, there are the chrome plated carriage bolt type and the stainless clad ones. In the stainless clad group there are different profiles, and the late 50's Fords had a unique one. Up until 3 years ago, you could still get them at the Ford dealer, but the list price was almost 5.00 each. They were a coarse thread bolt, and much longer than needed for our applications, but they had the correct profile. When they were no longer available, Dennis Carpenter had a bolt reproduced offshore that resembles the Ford profile and includes a nut and washer. I have these for 3.25 each. I also have used ones without dents in the head for 1.00 each, and some of the Ford ones for 4.75 each."

So, I just ordered bumper bolts from Carl.

I am having fun with my tumbler! I am on my second load of original bolts, nuts and washers. I spent the early afternoon setting up my grinder on a shelf that I made. It is well secured and will not walk off on me. This is a nice Ryobi 6" grinder with the light and will do the trick for me. Later today, I will do some cleaning of rust with the wire wheel,off some bolt threads and see how that goes.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-21-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ray, Harbor Freight has a "Safety" section.

Buy GOGGLES and wear them when you are anywhere around the wire wheel (and keep kids away). Even the cheap goggles will do. No, glasses are not goggles. Those little wires come out all the time and they are notorious for piercing eyes.

Do NOT wear gloves when using the grinder/wire wheel. They can easily snag and the spinning wheel will pull your hand in. These tools are wonderful and work real well when used safely.

If you ever need to polish stainless, the buffing wheel needs to spin 3,600 rpm, and the part needs to heat enough to melt the polishing compound. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca