This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road
Default power steering

I need some help with my power steering. I have a '60 T-Bird coupe with the 352 engine. I have resealed the power steering pump, replaced it with a remanufactured one, installed a new filter and replaced all gaskets. The darn thing still foams up during use and dumps fluid out of the top of the reservoir so severely that I can't drive it more than about 6 miles without losing much of the steering. I am using type "F" fluid but nothing I do seems to help. The pump does not leak but I'm getting air in the system somehow and it overflows and dumps the fluid on the ground. Any help would be great!
thanks, Casey
Old 07-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: power steering

You most probably have a leak the hose going to the power steering pump. The pump is drawing air in at that point.

Do you have a leak of power steering when the car is sitting or when it is running before it foams over ?

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Super-Experienced

It doesn't leak just sitting there. It seems to foam over after driving about 5 minutes. Then after you park it, it continues to drip but it seems to just be dripping from all the areas that were drenched during the foam-over; not the pump itself. All the hoses and connections have been checked and all seem fine. Is there any way that air is being drawn in thru the control valve?
Old 07-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Webmaster

Yes, air can enter there.

Do you have the little flap of metal that deflects the fluid that goes inside the power steering pump resevoir off the fuild return ? The fluid should not shoot straight into the resevoir. This would also cause foaming.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Super-Experienced

I think the flap is there.
I'll have to go back to the garage and make sure.
I'll check that and the control valve.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Super-Experienced

everything is where it should be.
My mechanic says the control valve is rusty and deteriorated. It's the only piece I haven't rebuilt or replaced. Do you have any idea where I can find one??
My car's been in the shop for 4 weeks and I just want to drive it! Any help you can give me in locating one of these is appreciated!
thanks,
Casey
Old 07-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Webmaster

Call one of the vendors listed at http://www.squarebirds.org/links_squarebirds.htm . They will send you a rebuilt control valve. They will charge you for the core, which they refund when they get back the old one. Make sure the mechanic is careful taking out the old control valve. If he uses a ball joint separator or pounds the hell out of the drag link connection with a sledge hammer, he will destroy the control valve and they will not refund your core deposit. The connection to the drag link can be stubborn to remove after it has been in there for a few years. It is best to let the connection soak in Liquid Wrench for several hours and then try to tap it out.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Super-Experienced

I just ordered a control valve from The Bird Nest.
Should be here by Wednesday morning (paid too much for 2 day air but I'm tired of waiting around).
I'll let you know how it goes. If this doesn't fix it, I'm yanking it out and going with manual steering!
thanks for all your help.
Casey
Old 07-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Webmaster

If you have a rebuilt control valve, rebuilt ram, rebuilt power steering pump and new hoses, you should have no problems.

Incidentally the pump should use Type A transmission fluid, though I have used Type F with no problems.

Converting to manal steering is not that easy as there are several unique pieces used and those parts are harder to find than the power assisted ones.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Apprentice

Eric

Hi,
Do you really have to convert to manual steering with those manual steering parts? My mounting stud for the power steering cylinder broke off a month ago. Before I had repaired it I took down the power steering cylinder and I drove the car without the power assistance for a few days. It wasn’t as bad as I expected. Of course I realise that the best thing is to repair or replace a defect control valve. Good luck with the new control valve Casey.