This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road
Default wanted: "cliff notes" on window overhaul

(Doors and window frames will have all new weatherstripping, etc etc installed first.)

Question is... when you start aligning all the side windows, which window do you get into position first? I know they all have to sort of line up together as a "team" in order for it to work; I just cant make up my mind which piece of glass is the "leader"....

thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

First you need to get the door gaps correct. Install the belt line weatherstrips (fuzzies). Reline all the window channels if needed. Then the vent frame has to be aligned to the windshield post, next is the door window and then the quarter window. It is a labor intensive process and involves many trial fits and adjustments.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:00 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Can you guys provide the steps to remove the main, side window??

I need to replace the outer "fuzzy" as the supporting metal rusted and fell apart.

I am ok with removing the window crank and getting the door panel off - done that before. What do you do after that???

john
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default wanted: "cliff notes" on window overhaul

Richard D. Hord recorded the procedures to go through when replacing our windows. You will find them on the temporary Technical Resource Library that I created on Fortune City. Clicking on the link below my signature element will take you there. I hope that will help you, but if not, send Richard a PM and I am sure he will be glad to help you, as will others who have done this before.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

hi Ray

thanks! That gives me a much better picture of things.

I also learned that there are lower stops which give me some hope for simply lowering the window an additional inch, which would give me room to replace the outer fuzzy and stainless trip. That's about all the room I need

This move, if possibble, is also of value to people doing repaints. If one can remove the fuzzy and stainless trim on the outside of the window, then you can do a better job of painting and not end up with a ridge where the stainless trim is. This not only makes for cleaner appearance but also cuts down the long term chance of rust. (see other threads on repaint issues)

John
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Ray,
THANKS!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
...This move, if possibble, is also of value to people doing repaints. If one can remove the fuzzy and stainless trim on the outside of the window, then you can do a better job of painting and not end up with a ridge where the stainless trim is...
That's true, John. The more trim you take off, the better the paint job.

What about the window channels that are worn down to nothing? Where the fuzzies are gone, and the glass scrapes, rattles, and leaks?

That's when you unbolt that bottom stop, loosten the guides, and pull the glass out. Mac's sells fuzzies for the vent frame (the real backbone for your glass), and it is cheap. They usually come with a pack of brass rivets. Drill out the old, and 'set' the new channels in.

I don't know a better way of restoring a vent frame and window channel. Take lots of pictures. Pull each piece off and mark it. After de-rusting frame-steel and polishing stainless, you have to stack all the pieces and rivet them together. You will be amazed when you're done. It all looks brand new. If your laminated glass is full of bubbles, you might want to replace it before spending a lot of time setting glass.

I use a block of wood to hold the glass up as I adjust and put the X pieces in. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Super-Experienced

my windows rattle something fierce. So much so, that I almost try to avoid the bumpier city streets.

There is pretty much nothing left inside the window channels. Its all turned to dust.

I will be replacing one vent window (cracked), driver's window (cracked), and passenger window (some kid with a Red Ryder BB gun must've met up with my car at some point in the past 50 years).
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Super-Experienced

I've read a few more posts here and there, and have two more questions:

1. Do you have to first remove the roof rail weatherstrip in order remove the quarter windows?
Not sure why that would be the case, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

2. I have tinted glass on the sides now. How close does the new glass match the old original glass?
I really dont want to replace the glass in my quarter windows, since they are both good. Jeez, my parts list is at 800 bucks already; for this side window overhaul project I am mustering my courage for.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Super-Experienced

How do you get the glass out of the frames? side windows and vent windows.

Does it help to heat it up in an oven at 170 degrees or so?

Jeez, I was just trying to get the bottom channel piece off one of the side windows, and it was REALLY stuck on there.

I've got all the guts out of the drivers door today. Seems pretty simple once you see all the parts you are dealing with; but yes, it is time-consuming. Oh well....it keeps me off the couch on Sunday afternoons.

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 03-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.