This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Nice job on the 40' ...

really like the hood louvers. What's hiding under the hood? Mike
Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbird View Post
Great car Keith..great looking cabriolet and done right in my mind. I couldnt see if there were top bows..Carson top maybe? chopped 3"? cant tell from the picture but it looks like a deluxe with custom side grills and the head lights are truly classic. I wonder how many restorers go by your car and say "I cant believe what they did to a cherry car".
Well done and I cant wait to see your efforts on your bird. thanks for sharing. Grant
Thank you, We made a lift off Carson stlye top,it is a Deluxe and the headlights are '58 Lincoln.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post
really like the hood louvers. What's hiding under the hood? Mike
138 louvers, the motor is a bbc. Not my car nor my choice of engines. This is the only picture I have of the engine.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Super-Experienced

I rolled it outside last Sunday, a balmy 25 degrees and did some sand blasting.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Keith, what exactly is this first shot of on the car?

Is it a place where rain water could not escape?

What are you using for equipment to sandblast with??

best
John
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Keith, what exactly is this first shot of on the car?

Is it a place where rain water could not escape?

What are you using for equipment to sandblast with??

best
John
That is where the cowl meets the frame right behind the front wheels. I dug a lot of stuff out of there. It must of came from the windshield wiper panel area. Oh and a couple dried up mice. I am going to cut the bottom of the fenders and rocker panels off to get back there and repair those areas.

I use a Tip brand sandblaster. I think it is called the 99'er. I got it used from a friend who bought it in the mid 80's. Never had a problem with it. I also use silica sand. I have used regular sand , but you spent a lot of time sifting and it's wet sometimes in the bag. So you have to spread out on a tarp in the sun and rake it. Then living in a high humidity part of the country you better get it bagged up before sundown or you get to do it again the next day.

I have a 2 stage 7hp Ingersal Rand comp.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia,Mo.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
John

Thanks! Now you describe it, I can orient my view. You removed the splash shield (which must have been junk) and revealed what I gather is a classic Squarebird rust area.

For what it's worth later, the splash shields have been reproduced.

Do you feel you can repair it and maintain the structural integrity??
Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Super-Experienced

The splash shields were missing. The holes were covered with fiberglass, bondo and undercoat.

I fell comfortable replacing the missing pieces.

With the car setting on the ground the door gaps are good. No saging.

When working on a car like this, a unibody, it is very important that when the car is raised off the ground it must have the jack,jackstands or lift under the front crossmember where the lower a arms mount and on the rear axle.

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
John

Ah! Undercoating!! Good for hiding things one shouldn't be hiding...

How are the various rear subframes??
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Keith,
I've done several of these, and on each car I found that the inner rockers are usually weak when the sections behind the wheel are as bad as yours. Have you probed them yet?
Carl