This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey Mike,
It breaks my heart to see one that has been chopped, shaved, over modified and ugly hood scoops added. (like the '59 on Ebay, beautiful car with ungodly hood scoop)
Richard D. Hords
I saw that one, same color as my 58, I was thinking of doing that to mine...... No?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Grant,
Yea, I will agree old old cars make nice street rods. Nothing no better than a old car chopped, shaved, tunneled and all that good stuff with a small block Chevy shoved in it! Ah, forget that last part! You get to a point of who has the most money! Its a never ending process. You missed my point. The '58-'60 Thunderbirds are not street rods. They are classics! They need to be restored the way the factory made them. Yes I agree there are somethings that need to be up graded. Brakes, windshield wipers, radio, etc... But the body needs to stay the way it was made. Take for example, Ray's Yellowrose, it was done with good taste and is pretty close to the original. He has not ruined the body or made any modifications that cannot be changed back if he so desires. The '58-'60 was one of Fords best ideals and body designs there every was. I know some will disagree! That is just my opinion!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

Just to make sure it is ok to keep posting on this forum.

My intention is not to upset anyone about restore vs modify and I'm not here to promote either. I do both and enjoy both.

I found this site by searching for disc brake upgrades for a 1959 Thunderbird. There are other sites out there, but this site has a lot of good info on the subject so I landed here.

I didn't feel right coming in and just being a lurker using the info that was researched by a lot of good people and then leave.

I thought if I could show a T'Bird being worked on and how I would fix the rust and damaged areas I could return the favor of using the disc brake info and some steering info I came across your forum.

I'm not here to ruffle any feathers. I know there has to be some DIYer's here that might find the build useful or at least give that ole 'Bird another look. It might just be worth saving. Whether it be restored or modified.

As you can tell the one I'm working on really has some problems. In my opinion someone went to a lot of trouble to cover up a lot of problems and then pawned it off on some unsuspecting person who thought it was restored.

The current owner is not me, but a friend who was able to tell it wasn't what it appeared and asked for my help.

No, it won't be restored. It wasn't the previous time either , but it sure fooled someone.

If it is ok I will keep posting. Again this is your forum and I'm not here to cause any problems.

Keith Daleen
sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Hey, It's your car ...

well, o.k. somebody's car. In the end everyone expresses them self in there own unique way. I was just speaking my mind (such as it is) . It's just that that color does nothing for me or that car JMO. As to the 351W thing. You can mount an AOD to an FE so why give up the great sound and originality not to mention all that low end grunt of a big block in a heavy car. Also your going to have do Quite a bit of modification to make it work just to end up with less power and then you have that little small block siting in that big engine bay. Hey why not just stick in a 350 chebbie. Ouch! that hurt just picturing it in my mind. Sorry for the rant. I promise to go right back on my meds. No matter which way you go, I'm sure we'll be interested in seeing your progress. Mike

Last edited by gaffney1951 : 03-03-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
No harm no foul! I'm just like most people gotta get my two cents worth in. Hey Keith, don't feel bad we do this every once in a while. We are all friends and friends have to have some disagreements every once in a while. You keep asking questions and we will try to help, if we don't know we will find out for ya!
Love you guys and love these old Thunderbirds!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Super-Experienced

No problem Mike,

I'm a FE fan. I took the wore out Y block out of my '61 unibody P/U and put a 390 with a 3-2 setup in it. I have another 390 waiting to go in my '40 merc conv..

It's still not my car.

350 chebbie? You better double your meds.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
No problem Mike,

I'm a FE fan. I took the wore out Y block out of my '61 unibody P/U and put a 390 with a 3-2 setup in it. I have another 390 waiting to go in my '40 merc conv..

It's still not my car.

350 chebbie? You better double your meds.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Okay, I want to see photos of your 3-2 setup. Is it a factory ford setup? I am sitting on an Edelbrock 3-2 FE intake, someday it will make into one of my fords....

So you guys would get mad if I installed a Twin Turboed Chevy LS-1 motor in that 60 I just picked up?

Last edited by RustyNCa : 03-03-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Super-Experienced

Here's what was uncovered last night. Right front fender bondo very thick and brass.

Left front fender.More brass. Rust out where splash shield bracket is located.

Left rocker. Rust is patched in front of a used rocker that is brazed on the is still attached to the donor 1/4 panel.

It only gets worse. The donor 1/4 is brazed then spot welded over the original 1/4.

It goes all the way to the rear bumper.

The end.

Keith Daleen
Sedalia, Mo.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Super-Experienced

Yes it is a factory 1962 setup. The truck is in storage. But I can get a picture of it. i'll have to move some thing to get to it. May be a week or two till I get time to get out there.

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
Okay, I want to see photos of your 3-2 setup. Is it a factory ford setup? I am sitting on an Edelbrock 3-2 FE intake, someday it will make into one of my fords....

So you guys would get mad if I installed a Twin Turboed Chevy LS-1 motor in that 60 I just picked up?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Wow !!!

Looks like you might be money ahead if you found another decent body and relegated this one to the position of parts donor. Take a magnet with you when you go looking. I like a challenge as much as the next guy but it's so much nicer starting with some decent sheet metal. Mike