This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 60 Fan Shroud Issue again??

Thanks for the compliment on the graphic. Note the license plate.

Good deal on that shroud.

I am interested in that mounting bracket. How is that used in the installation? It looks like an easy to make piece with a sheet metal brake. Please give me details on how it is constructed when you get the shroud. Thanks.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Experienced

msmaron1 is on a distinguished road

>Thanks for the compliment on the graphic. Note the license
>plate.
>
That gold is the most increddible thing i have ever seen. I would love to see a car in that color...with a BLACK top!
mark

Old 03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

license plate: nice touch!

shroud bracket: I will take some pictures and send them. I have
had the shroud for awhile. Bear in mind it was for a 61 Galaxie. Basically the top of the shroud mounts to the bracket which in turn attaches to the car somehow... I still need to study this.

Installation: you got me to wondering - were there "Service Bulletins" sent to dealers in the '60s? If so then one of them might have discussed adding shrouds to combat heating problems on AC equipped cars. Are there any car clubs or groups that might have libraries of such information? Along these lines, if there really are any factory equipped cars out there, the VIN should indicate a relatively late production car.

john
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Webmaster

My Golde Top with A/C has a date code of 29F. That is scheduled for production on June 29, 1960. Usually production ends on the last day of June. I will need to check with the VTCI prints when the last documented 1960 was produced, but with the new 1961 coming out I doubt production ran into July. My 1960 had the original engine, water pump, radiator, etc. when I got it. There is no indication that this car ever had a shroud.

If shrouds were put on cars as purported, they were all done on June 30, 1960 using several different style shrouds. It does not seem believable to me.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

My Golde Top with A/C has a date code of 29F. That is scheduled for production on June 29, 1960. Usually production ends on the last day of June. I will need to check with the VTCI prints when the last documented 1960 was produced, but with the new 1961 coming out I doubt production ran into July.

I thought the same as you. My car has a production date of 26G (July 26th) and acording to [link:www.tbirdregistry.com/|the Tbird registry] it wasn't the near the last one. [link:www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.asp?RegistryNumber=14845|This one] was scheduled for September 13th and is the last one in the registry, but is beyond the number documented by Ford.

At any rate, there were a bunch of cars after both yours and mine.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Webmaster

This site show the date codes for 1960 Trucks http://www.mercurypickup.com/1960vin.htm . The car codes I believe are the same. If F means first year of production, May, then my car (29F) was made June 29, 1959 - a very early car, but its production number is already 173479. That car on the registry is 13W (production number 192834), so it was made September 13, 1960.

Something is not quite right. Less than 20,000 cars were made between an F and W car? 1960 Thunderbird production was until September? 1960 Thunderbird production was more than a year? The 1961 Thunderbird was introduced to the public November 12, 1960. They converted the factory and started producing them in two months?

Love Fords documents this car http://www.lovefords.org/60ford/custom300/default.htm as a 12E production May 12, 1960.

These date codes are confusing. Someone please explain these.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
John

Alexander, if your VIN is 173479 then your car was the 73,479th
1960 scheduled for production, which puts it pretty far along in the scheme of some 90,000+ 1960 TBirds. If they began production in September of 1959 and ceased in September of 1960 then yours being made in late May of 1960 seems reasonable with production (about 75% of the time period had gone by while your number is about 80% of the way along to the last one ( I notices a 0Y71Y192834 in the Registry hence the 92,834th made).

IF Ford began installing shrouds at the factory, then my guess is that it was in response to problems reported that summer, so VINs after something like 180000 might have them. Who knows? Sheer speculation on my part. OR they could have been a regional, after delivery item, appearing in the Southwest as opposed to New England.
More speculation...

Would a bill of sale or other paperwork have indicated such a detail as a shroud?? Having seen neither I have no idea.

John
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Probably one in maybe a few thousand had them?
Like I said I've only seen one. I've heard of a few others. Maybe they were on cars sent to New Mexico or Ariz or Texas . . . where it's 100 + at 9 in the morning.

I wonder if my Dearborn one fits a little funny because my radiator is oversize?? It's a 4 row. I thought the outer dimensions stayed the same.

I need to seek out a few of these "old timer Ford guys". They're all in their 70" or so by now. Maybe one will remember it shrouds were a dealer add on or what.

I'll so my homework.

I like that "Goldetop" !!!!!!!!!

Best Bird ever made too. best of all worlds . . . open air . . . security . . . No air leaks !!!

JB
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
John

when I bought the Galaxie shroud (see earlier note in this thread), I was about to buy a Dearborn repro that someone on this site had for sale. He mentioned that the fit of his ('63 Galaxie version) was less than perfect. I would agree with you that a 4th row in the core should not matter at all.

On the internet, I ran across Ford "TSB"s or "Technical Service Bulletins". This seem to exist as far back as 1960 or eariler, so it could be that if one of us finds a long time garage with an extensive collection, an answer could be sitting on the shelf. Unfortunately the site I found was for trucks.

John