This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 AM

KIRT2107
Default RE: NEED SEATBELTS--MUST be Orignals...NO REPOS'S

I may have a suggestion for the seatbelt installation, specifically the seatbelt retaining clips. If I understand correctly you are looking for a peice that will hold in place the seat belt to the bottom part of the seat so that they will not slide to the side next to the seat back hinge. I had a problem with the seat back adjustment screws landing on the seat belts, so I had to shift them to the side so the bolt would not wear a hole in the seat belt.

What I found that worked well was a stainless steel tubing bracket.
I was at a clients facility and they were building a control panel that had all this stainless tubing going into a stainless box. These brackets were being used to hold the tubing in place. they are really strong and come in many widths. The bracket space depends upon the size tubing. I got four the width of the seat belt material and screwd them into the round tubing on the back side of the seat bottom. The seatback adjustment bolts lands right on the bracket. This protects the seat belt. I hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Kirt,

Do you have pictures of this? What specifically are these tube holders called and where can I get them? I plan to put in seatbelts on my 1960 in the Spring. I do not want them to get distorted and torn by the seat.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

I've used SSnake-oyl company to restore the seat belts on my Galaxie.
They were EXCELLENT!!
The restored belts had brand new webbing that matched the original color and pattern EXACTLY and the buckles were rechromed and refurbished.

They just did an outstanding job and were relatively fast (I think it took about 2 weeks to get them back).

Old 02-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Experienced

msmaron1 is on a distinguished road

>I looked at the seat belt illustration and it says the front
>belts should have some sort of restraining loop.
>Do you know if anyone makes this part?
>
>Also, what belt lengths should I order for the front and
>back belts?
If you call snake oyl, they can tell you everything, the length and about the loop that fastened them. That is all there was is a loop, not sister hooks or really anything else back then. i had a great conversation with them and they were very helpful
mark

Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Webmaster

No sister hooks? Why then do the instructions for the Squarebirds clearly show sister hooks and eyebolts?

I do see that those seatbelts on Ebay do not appear to have sister hooks. I wonder what is in those brown wrappers, or maybe it is just packing.

Maybe Fuz or Tom Young have some knowledge on this aspect of Squarebirds.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

my '64 Galaxie had sister hooks and eye bolts - just like the squarebird illustrations. Are there any pics in the Owner's manual or other literature showing the belts?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Webmaster

The Thunderbird seat belt instructions dated 1958, clearly show a sister hook. Indeed the belt has a plain end, but it is threaded into a separate sister hook.

http://www.squarebirds.org/seatbelt_...isterhook3.gif

If you get those original seatbelts on eBay, I am not sure where you will get the sister hooks that they require to thread the seatbelts into. I did an Internet search and found nothing.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Experienced

"No sister hooks? Why then do the instructions for the Squarebirds clearly show sister hooks and eyebolts?
I do see that those seatbelts on Ebay do not appear to have sister hooks."

Well I questioned Ssnake Oyl on the same questiona and she told me back then in 60 all they did was LOOP the end of the belt to the bolt (eye hook) in the floor, my comment was that that was not too safe as the loop can come undone and she did asknowledge that als but said that is how they did it...Now she MIght have been only talkiing about the front and NOT the rear seats?
mark

Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Webmaster

http://www.squarebirds.org/seatbelt_...sisterhook.gif

A close-up of the front instructions also shows the seatbelt end in the sister hook going into the eyebolt.

I think it would be challenging to get that folded over and sewn end of the seatbelt through an eyebolt. I don't believe her.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Experienced

>http://www.squarebirds.org/seatbelt_...sisterhook.gif
>
>A close-up of the front instructions also shows the seatbelt
>end in the sister hook going into the eyebolt.
>
>I think it would be challenging to get that folded over and
>sewn end of the seatbelt through an eyebolt. I don't believe
>her.
I totally agree with YOU.. I see what she means though., The belts Loops into the sister hook....I am thinking that is what she meant. dont you?

mean while,. this is the hottest topic we have now and it started by asking if anyone had any belts to sell....How did we get this far???:P