This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Apprentice

jldevlin is on a distinguished road
Default my sick 352

Hmmm I am planning on getting it rebuilt or find a good core out of another bird but not right now I did a dry compression check today on my 352 which is not the factory motor but a 352 out of a 62 galaxy I believe, only a 220 hp from what I read. anyway any mechanics out there who can give me a thought on the readings,

Drivers side 91 90 99 91
Pass Side 101 90 88 90

Engine has blow by, does not burn the blues , definatle runs nice and smooth but not as powerful as I remember these old dogs

John
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

John, before anyone passes judgement on those figures, questions:

* are they from a warmed up motor?
* was the throttle wide open while you cranked?
* any guess as to how many miles on the motor?
* how far do you go on a quart of oil?

John

Last edited by JohnG : 01-18-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Apprentice

Default interesting questions

are they from a warmed up motor? - No it was cold

was the throttle wide open while you cranked - hmm again no

any guess as to how many miles on the motor - no idea, seller thought it was rebuilt at one time, gaskets tell me different

how far do you go on a quart of oil? - Have only had it a year but so far never had to add, only have 2000 miles on it this year though - was full at oil change

Something tells me I need to warm it up and open the carb full open
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM
John

Smile

I'm glad I asked... your original numbers were pretty low but under the circumstances pretty meaningless.

Compression occurs when air is sucked into the cylinder with the intake valve open, then the valve closes and the piston procedes to squeeze or compress that air (and fuel). The more air that is sucked in, the higher the resulting pressure.

So I would suggest taking it out for a ride, disconnect the center wire to the coil, open the throttle up and see what you get!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Apprentice

Default a bit warmer

Hi John

I only have parking insurance on it this time of year so I cannot get it up to full operating temp but I did warm it up enough to get it to about 160 as that is where I get heat

I got out and here is the one side after

was 101 90 88 90
now 105 100 108 105

I did the next two then restarted it as the engine was cooling down
was 91 90
now 110 110

restarted motor and warmed it up again , immediatley tried the next cyl

Was 100 now 118

Was 91 now 105

Went back and did the 90 110 again after a few minutes , read 105

so pattern was 90 cold and carb close, engine at about 160 110 then after cooling down for a few 105

All warm tries were with carb wide open
Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 PM
John

That certainly shows that compression comes up with temp.

A couple of other things: a time honored test is to squirt
a couple shots of motor oil in the cylinder and then recheck the compression. A big increase suggests worn rings.

Also if you could get the date off the motor, you might be able to research what its compression ratio is, which plays a role in the numbers you get. For example, my 1958 is 10:1 originally. By the late 70s, compression was reduced so that cars could run on lower octane unleaded gas; what those new CRs were, I don't know.

You did not seem to indicate awareness of any oil consumption and that is a very good sign.

Your original post related to lack of horsepower. How careful of a tuneup has it will impact it's performance.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldevlin View Post
now 105 100 108 105
now 110 110 118 105.
All warm tries were with carb wide open
John, compression tests are used as a comparision. In other words, add them all up and divide by eight (average), then see how far off the cylinders are from the average. In your case, 107.6 is your average psi. Your highest compression is only 10.3 psi or 9.6% more. The lowest is 7.6 psi lower... your numbers are very good. That explains why it runs smooth.Wolfgang' 390 bent rod would have shown a cylinder that dropped compression because the piston fell short of the top by a few millimeters.
Everyone wants to see huge compression numbers, but they only tell part of the story. Align your numbers on a sheet of paper, just like they are laid out in your block. If the two pistons in front or the two in the rear are lower, that might show a problem with oiling, valve sealing, etc. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 01-19-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 AM
John

I realize that. I had a 352 with 150,000 miles on it that was on death's doorstep. Some of the rings were even broken. It produced 135-145 psi in all cylinders. Ford's shop manual called for 180 or so. So in the way of comparison, John's don't sound very good but I want to make sure we are comparing apples and apples and I don't know that yet.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Apprentice

Default More on this motor

I do know because of starter replacement carb replacment etc I have done ....the motor is out of a 62 possibly Galaxy, it has a 2 Barrell Carb, the power lack could be just because it a 2 barrell and it does not have the extra kick, at 60 mph it really takes off nicely though, I took it up through some of our mountain passes last year when I took it to my cabin about 100 miles out of town, it climbed really nice, the only issue was sitting at a light and blow by coming out the draft tube , we will see when I am on the freeway how it does with the pcv system, I checked my old spark plugs as I pulled them and none had oil on them, they were carboned, a couple more than others but then again all winter I was idling it and driving it around my under ground parking to keep this moving freely until spring...so that is not a surprise, so If this pcv system works and this continues to drive as smooth as it does now I can wait, with all the money and time I have put into it this last year my silly wife thinks we should go on a cruise and wait until nect year to invest more lol.....
Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default blow by

I could not help but read your post. I had the same problem and the wife intercided. Our Baby blue bird ran very well however at stop lights that puff of smoke would come up when everyone was looking at the bird. We went on a cruz to North carolinia and got the motor heated up very well. The car ran nice down there and we thought all our problems were over. We tooled around for three days down there and then came back home(Maryland). When we got back to all the stop and go traffic the car puffed more then usual. My dear wife finally said since the car did not let us down on the road a rebuild was in order( I think she really likes the bird) So we did and now it runs and idles with no sign of blowby. It's funny it never burned any oil during that time. Since the rebuild it does not burn oil either. The pvc system I tried however the blowby because oily and a mess. A rebuild is the way to go