This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM

3dpsycho is on a distinguished road
Default will a Chevy Transmission w/ Overdrive adapted up to a 352 fit in an AC tbird?

Putting back together a Dissembled tbird and Trying to get some better fuel economy... along with an eventual EFI setup, I was heavily contemplating putting in a transmission with overdrive since I hear its about impossible to expect better mpg without it.
I had a C6 I was going to put in it, but the overdrive add on is nightmarish in cost... the other option I see is an adapter plate and either to bolt up an AOD or a chevy 700R4 or 2004R (which is better for mpg/ease of installation?) any known issues or clearance problems with the chevy transmissions if you have an AC setup on your squarebird? (also if anyone has such an adapter they wish to sell they are not using anymore I am all ears!)
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Hope you get some info on this. I have a 352 non A/C car with the stock cruise-o-matic and Ford 4100 (107K miles). Gets 9-11mpg in town and 20-21mpg on the road. I had that same nightmare a few years back looking at the Gear Vendors OD and a megasquirt EFI. Somebody wake me up!

As little as I drive mine I figured it would take about 30 years @ 2.75/gallon to break even. For the cost of the OD and EFI I would have been able to buy a nice used low mileage late model Ford EFI V8 w/AOD from a salvage yard but didn't want the fabrication headache making it fit.

The AOD wouldn't help in the city and I always wondered how much it would help on the hwy (2-3mpg?) since it will be pushing a brick down the road. The Squarebird is little bit more aerodynamic than a brick but only a little. It would surely drop the engine rpm which might save some wear and tear. When I was driving mine on the hwy I ran around 75mph and the 352 was turning some serious rpms for a big 'ole V8 - probably around 4000.

Good luck on that project and keep us posted.

Eric
registry 5347

Oh - BTW - I heard it was illegal to put a Chevy tranny in a Tbird. ;-)

Last edited by DKheld : 01-19-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: can't even spell - spell - much less type it
Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

I put the Performance Automatic Street Smart FE AOD in my 60 and at 75MPH I'm turning about 2200 RPM with the original 3:08 gear. The transmission is pretty stout and they offer different performance levels up to one with a lifetime guarantee depending on what you want to spend. I had to re-drill the holes in my cross member and get a different length drive shaft made but on last week's 700 mile trip it was worth it.

Jim

protourbird
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Putting chebby junk ...

in a ford? (the shame of it)Unless your running big time HP an AOD will work just fine, and built correctly will handle even big power. Mike
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Let's not be cuttin' up on those Chevy's !!!

I'm still a Chevy guy. I had MOPAR's as a kid (MOPAR= My Ol Pig Aint Runnin)

But truthfully, the 700's or 200R4's are no better than an AOD. That or a C6 with a Gearvendor O/Drv.

That new AOD that will bolt to an FE block is the way to go!!!

I'm an American Iron guy now !!! No Japanese . . . Korean . . . Or overpriced Krout-Cans (I'm 1/2 German- I can say it)

All these imports have had the American car buying public fooled for years. Hook, line & sinker. Pitiful !!

Yes. I ride a Harley too.

BUY AMERICAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0956.jpg (461.8 KB, 170 views)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 AM

Thank you so far for the responses...
I wonder how much that Performance Automatic Street Smart would put me back?
Obviously as mentioned by one savy poster the price would kinda have to be justified with the fuel economy (a gear vendors alone runs about 2700)...
So far I have come across a Wilcap adapter setup (550 + 50$ for mopar starter + tranny cost) ... seams kinda odd the adapter plate cost infinitely more than the tranny. Considering the Chevy trans (700r4?) because here in Omaha AOD's from the non-electrical time period are pretty scarce (let alone one in good shape)... this is of course if a chevy trans would fit...
affordable fuel injection sells an EFI setup for about 1200 which I guess isn't too bad in comparison... (obviously tried to look for one used... no luck imagine that!)
and of course I did consider a modern setup engine (actually tried a 4.6... FAIL!) but from what I here the only slightly reasonable approach is the 5.0, but it lacks the torque from what I see in the threads (especially since I'll be adding a few lbs for the convertible I am making it)

Last edited by 3dpsycho : 01-21-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 AM

Default come on guys ... ya gotta be more inventive

Wilcap turned out not to be a viable option so... ok... so the transmissions in these beast have removable bell housings... so one would technically be able to bolt up maybe another newer transmission with overdrive (and removable bell housings) to this bellhousing and bolt to our engines right?... any suggestions as to what would work/fit best?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dpsycho View Post
Wilcap turned out not to be a viable option so... ok... so the transmissions in these beast have removable bell housings... so one would technically be able to bolt up maybe another newer transmission with overdrive (and removable bell housings) to this bellhousing and bolt to our engines right?... any suggestions as to what would work/fit best?
If you were here in New Zealand I guarantee SOMEBODY would do that adaptation, we're so far from the 'ready-to-use' suppliers we have to MAKE stuff that we need.

(Look at Burt Munro!)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Experienced

ayrwoof
Smile

[The best setup is still the 3speed with overdrive that came one these
cars. if you want more milage and more yank at your neck. also
here you could play with 3:50 rear gears instead of the stock 3:70.
ratio.. but the 3:50 will need a the camshaft advanced 4 deg or so to
put torque lower.. (i'd do this anyway) . it will add to brake booster
vaccuum a great deal.. with close to stock ign timming..
prem fuel. and good driving habits play thier part. and speed.
the squarebird windshield is more wind slippery than most think since
the aire goes around it too..
at 4000 # these are heavy cars. and it cost to move em..
STILL i think with a good 3 on the tree and od you can get close to 22
mpg ........
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up In My Opinion

-BENDTSENS TRANSMISSION ADAPTERS-

An AOD is a completely logical upgrade. 430 Guys, they have one for you too.

I don't speak GM, ASIAN or EURO-TECH.

If one wants to go with EFI, a 351W swap with EEC-IV is logical if the owner is not concerned with originality. The AOD bolts directly to it.

EFI swap on a FE is fairly easy with either CFI or EFI.