This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Apprentice

whpaul is on a distinguished road
Default A big surprise

Hallo to the community,

today I have to post a really surprise.

Due to some restoration I decided to overhaul my transmission and check the engine and see what is to do.
Not that I had really problems, ok the shifting was a little bit rough and in first gear there where slightly noises, and the engine runs smooth and with no noises or so.Because it was demounted we checked it, everything looked good. but then when had a closer look we saw while turning the crankshaft that one piston did not reach the upper point for about 2-3mm. The reason You see on the picture added.
I cant believe what we found. No noises, no vibrations no power loss, no bad starting. The pressure check 250 miles ago was very good, and then that!

What I found in addition was that my exhaust manifolds both where broken and welded. This repair I do not trust to much. Better I get new ones. Are these available,are there better ones on the market?

whpaul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crash.jpg (35.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust manifold.jpg (40.6 KB, 58 views)

W.H.Paul
with a friendly hallo from good old europe.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Wolfgang,
Good you found it before you ruined a good block! At least it can be rebuilt!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Hi Wolfgang,
Got any idea what caused your connecting rod to bend and twist? What FE engine is it? I am sure parts are available. As Richand Hord said, good thing you caught it before it ruined your block.

I can not tell from the angle of the exhaust manifold picture if the mounting tab broke again.

Cast iron is at least 2% carbon. Because it is cast, there is very little grain structure. That makes it brittle. Exhaust manifolds really take a beating when they cycle from cold to cherry red hot (on long high speed trips), thousands of times during the life of your car.

If your exhaust manifold doesn't leak, there is no real need to replace it. Make sure it is flat against the head, and do not over torque the bolts.

I am so glad you caught that bent rod. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 PM

novanutcase is on a distinguished road

Someone was pushing that car hard at some point and bent that rod!

Pressure check wouldn't have revealed a rod issue as that test is more reflective of ring and cylinder wall health.

Glad you caught it now and not afterwards where you would have snapped the rod altogether and have a half rod slapping everything in it's path inside your block! That would be no bueno!

If your uncomfortable with the stock manifolds you may want to look into a set of FPA headers. I've been told that they increase the performance of the motor.

John
Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Apprentice

Default now it costs some money......

Hallo John,
sorry what are FPA headers?

I learned that there is no space for different exhaust manifolds at this car.

I decided to bring the engine and transmission to www.yankeemotors.com in Nürnberg and give them a totally overhaul. The will charge me about 8000$, but give me a full warranty.
After this we add a edelbrock camshaft-manifold-carburetor set.

I hope that this will keep me on the save side of driving for the next ten years. My annually milage is less then 5000.

The week parts stay the exhaust manifolds. They seem to me quite narrow when I look at the size pistons. They must be highly debited!!
What are Your experiences with them?

whpaul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000037.jpg (67.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P1000047.jpg (55.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P1000049.jpg (47.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P1000051.jpg (72.2 KB, 63 views)

W.H.Paul
Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

gut Fotodokumentation!
FPA is a very good company that makes headers for your Thunderbird. They have technical support and will help with any questions.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm

Ford Powertrain Applications is the name of the company, but they ARE NOT Ford Motor Company.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Apprentice

Ok, thank You.
I sendet them a mail, hope the answer!

whpaul

W.H.Paul
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Apprentice

bul-it is on a distinguished road

Wolfgang:
Great post! Just goes to show you how durable these Ford 390 engines can be! As painful $$ wise as it is to deal with the problem,probably best to just "man Up"(as my son says) and just deal with the problem completely. Good luck, great pics! Mike
Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Bent rod ...

may have been caused by a fluid lock (water or oil leak into cyl.) at some point. A fluid will not compress and something has to give. the FPA's should be good for 30hp or more with a modest cam upgrade. $8K seems pretty steep for a stock rebuild, but I realize it will be somewhat higher in Europe. Good luck with your project. Mike
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Wolfgang as the others have stated, it's good you caught this now. Good hindsight in pulling the valve covers, as it would have been a lot worse on the $$$ later on.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023