This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road
Default (spare tire) rim size possibility and head lights

Hello,
I found the threads on rims etc. My '60 has 4 original rims I believe but no spare wheel. Buying and shipping of an extra wheel as spare tire is heavy and expensive. I might try to look locally (at the junk yard here)to find a wheel that fits on the car and in the boot.
What other cars, maybe more modern cars, were using simular rims that might fit? original size 14"x5.5 correct, but the bolt pattern etc. which car had a similar mounting layout?
here a link to a local website about car parts and rims, it has an English language button.

http://www.nettivaraosa.com/listCategory.php?id=2

Headlights. my headlights need replacing, are they special only for Tbird or are they still commonly available? where there more modern cars using the same head lamps? anybody know the brand name/code of those lights?

thanks and regards
ron
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hi Ron,

I can't answer the question about the spare tire. Hopefully, someone else can. I can tell you that, according to the Vintage Thunderbird Club International Official Factory Specifications (OFS), the headlights were either GE or Tung-Sol, and both had their ID mark in the center of the headlight. As to the part number for either light, it does not say. But somewhere on those headlights, it should say, I would think.

I called my local Autozone Auto parts and asked them for information on the high and low beam headlights for a 1960 Tbird. (I could not remember if you had a '59 or a '60, but they should be the same I would think). The headlights they stock are Sylvania. The high beam is Part # H5001. The low beam is H5006. They both cost $8.99 US.

Then I called O'Reilly Auto Parts. They have Wagner headlights. Part #6014 High or Low Beam $4.99 US.

You can google their websites online and check them out. Also bring up Advanced Auto Parts, and NAPA Auto Parts. I hope this helps. Unfortunately, I do not know what the part # on the original lights were. If you have them out, you might be able to find a part number on the backside of the light.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

The high beam is a dual filament unit while the low beam is single filament. The modern lights of the same diameter will have higher wattage than the original lights provided by Ford (50W high, 37.5 low) as well as being dirt cheap. I have had no trouble walking into auto parts stores and getting Wagner's. I brought my old ones with me.

Suggestion: replace all 4 of them! Then you will have a) better lighting b) uniform lighting and c) not have the old one burning out in the near future. About $20 total for Wagner's. Even better, cut loose for a spare high and a spare low and tuck them away in the gargage.

Rims: do a search and you will find all kinds of info on
the bolt pattern you need. It is the same for all Fords so finding a rim for the trunk should be easy. I sandblasted one up, painted it black and spent $10 for a used tire of correct size at the local tire dealer

Last edited by JohnG : 01-07-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Ron,
On the wheel, go to Ebay and look at item number #250555565731!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I can tell you that, according to the Vintage Thunderbird Club International Official Factory Specifications (OFS), the headlights were either GE or Tung-Sol, and both had their ID mark in the center of the headlight. As to the part number for either light, it does not say. But somewhere on those headlights, it should say, I would think.
Sorry to jack the thread, but I am curious about the headlights. When I purchased the 65 from the original owner I noticed that all the headlights said FoMoCo so I asked him if he had ever changed the lights, he told me not that he could remember.

So in 65 did the car come with lights ID as Ford lights? Not sure if it was a good idea or not, they all still worked so I pulled them and boxed them up assuming they were the original lights for the car.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hi Ron,

Here is some information on finding a spare rim that might be of help to you. The original rims were 14x5.5" rims. Or 14x6" and 14x7". The bolt circle is 4.5", lug nuts 1/2-20, zero offset backspacing and rear spacing of 3 3/8". If you can find a rim like that, it should work as a spare for your Tbird. Hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Experienced

Thank you all for the information.
Also the info that all fords had the same bold pattern. If I look at the local website here for parts and by ford rims I see that the bolt pattern here is called 5x 114,3 for the ford rim ads.(they are not the ones I want because the are mags or alu.) but just to check the rim size. Found that toyota Hiace has the same bolt pattern and 14" rims, but the other measurements as the spacings are probably not right.
Yes happy to here about the lights, if you can walk in a common parts store in the U.S. and they have them I might try to visit a large car parts store her and see then if they have them also or can order them locally.
Great to hear the info.

Special thanks to Ray for making the phone calls!
Yes I think I will order a whole complete set of exterior lights, flash,tail and head lights and take some spares also, will order them in the U.S. I won't need them soon anyway, same time I saw a complete set of interior light bulbs also, might need them too.

regards
ron

Last edited by kuusamon : 01-07-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ron, if you are going to do a disk brake conversion, you need five wheels that will fit. Original 14" wheels won't fit.

Ron indicated, the container departs for Finland in May. That gives him time to gather parts if they must come from the US.

Ron, wait a couple weeks so we can give you a better answer about wheel fitment over disk brake calipers. If 14" wheels don't make it, 15" will. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

All you need for rims are later model 14's. Anything that came w/disc brakes. Yes, you might need to run a THIN spacer (1/8") depending on your set-up.

A headlight suggestion. Sylvania makes Halogen sealedbeam for motorcycles. Specifically, Harleys. The Harley's also have 7" s/beams.
They are universal automotive lamps. The plug is the same. They will work for the outers on our cars. Those halogens are BRIGHT !!!
You can also huy one that has the replaceable bulb. They are flat rather than dome shaped. Kind of a custom look (hardly noticeable)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Experienced

Thanks for all the info,
yes to be on the safe side and probably simpler as I understand it, almost any rim, even modern ones will fit as long they have the same ford bolt pattern. I will then look for a 15" rim for the spare and extra rims of the same size as long as I am on the lookout in case I do convert to disk brakes, which I probably will.
What I have to watch for also besode the bold pattern is that my hubcaps (originals) will still fit. In Finland there a quite a few U.S. cars, now and in the past, so I will start to visit junkyards for good rims first.

regards
ron