This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Apprentice

ParTaxer is on a distinguished road
Default 14" X 6" or 14" X 5.5"

I recently bought, what I thought were, '75 Granada wheels. I was looking more closely and two of them are 6" wide and the other two are 5.5" wide. Do I have a problem in disk conversion and tire rotation or is the difference insignificant?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Mike, it depends on which tire you mount on it. Check out tire/rim sizes.

As far as disk conversions, I'm not sold on ANY 14" wheels as being suitable. It might depend on which conversion you do... certainly a Granada wheel will work on a Granada spindle with a Granada caliper and rotor. I have that setup on my '55 Customline. I also had the snouts turned down to the original drum dimension, so my stock 15" X 5" wheels fit over the hub. No problems clearing the caliper because the wheel is 15".

Some of the members are using their original spindles with an add-on (Draxler or Scarebird) caliper bracket, GM-type calipers, and a Mustang 11" rotor. I have that setup on my '59 Galaxie.

Both Draxler and Scarebird say original wheels will not fit. I run 15" X 7" CragarSS wheels and they work great. My new tires are ~1/3" LOWER (but wider) than the originals because of the tire size I chose.

Hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 12-17-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: I'm too fat in my fingers (and other places too).
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default versailles/granada snout

Dave will your cragers fit over the Granada snout? I have a lead on a full Versailles front end set and I think I am going to go that route. My plans were torque thrust 15" wheels so I hope the aftermarket wheels will fit. What is your experience. Grant
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

They'll fit. Granada 14 X 6's will clear. Only the girly 5.5's are too small, plus the center & offset aren't set up for discs.
These 14's clear fine ( I do run a NARROW 1/16 spacer on the frt. The wheel was slightly touching the metal brake line on top of the caliper.)
I have the 14 X 7's because I wanted the DEEP rally wheel look . . . Sorry, it's a Chevrolet thing . . . But it works on the Ford.

Be carefull of offsets when going w/aftermarket wheels. Cragers are fine, and they look sharp on a Sq/B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1405.jpg (354.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1406.jpg (404.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1402.jpg (325.2 KB, 78 views)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Apprentice

Those wheels look fine! I like that look very much. I just prefer hubs on the squares. I just purchased a set of '82 Tbird wires for 125.00. Thought that was a decent price and might spiff it up some.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Apprentice

The 5.5" wheels came from a disk setup. They are identical except for that half inch.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbird View Post
Dave will your cragers fit over the Granada snout? I have a lead on a full Versailles front end set and I think I am going to go that route. My plans were torque thrust 15" wheels so I hope the aftermarket wheels will fit. What is your experience. Grant
Grant, I suggest you snatch-up those Versailles spindles as soon as possible. They are very hard to find, and perfect for your application. The lower ball joint 'factory' hole is the correct size for your Thunderbird.

Mustang spindles need the hole opened up to match your Thunderbird ball joints. I just bought a new reamer for that ball joint hole... cost me $65 for the tool.

As soon as soon as I got my new rotors I had the snouts turned down to 2.55", which works just fine with ALL my wheels. I use NO SPACERS, either (on any of my cars). Ford didn't either.

Read this tutorial. <--Click here

I don't agree with everything this guy says, but he's mostly right. He doesn't realize our Squarebirds and mid '50's Ford cars can be retrofit with that spindle. He's all wet about the Verasilles spindle.

Take it in context, but read Page 18. They say to turn the snout down to 2.44". Before I read this, I measured my wheels and determined 2.55" was suitable.

On page 22, they use 15" Torque Thrust wheels on Granada rotors with no problem. I never had the Granada spindles mounted before they were turned, so I don't know about original fit for the Cragar SS wheels. I know the centers on the Cragar wheels were real large to accommodate spinners. Whatever wheel you use, measure the center hole and try mounting on the completed brake assembly BEFORE you mount a tire.

Grant, I hope this answers your question. - Dave

Here's a few pictures of Robin's Galaxie.<--click here

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParTaxer View Post
I recently bought, what I thought were, '75 Granada wheels. I was looking more closely and two of them are 6" wide and the other two are 5.5" wide. Do I have a problem in disk conversion and tire rotation or is the difference insignificant?
I may have an answer for you in a month or so after I have done my disc conversion. Ray got me some 14" x 6" wheels which he was told were from a mid '70s Granada. I got a pair of rotors for a '80 Granada and the hubs would not go into the center holes of the wheels. So I exchanged the rotors for ones for a '68 Mustang and they fit fine.

It looks like the final assembly is going to be a tight squeeze. As you can see for the photo, there isn't much room to spare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New wheel with rotor and caliper.jpg (447.9 KB, 75 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default Versailles spindles

Thanks Dave that was great info and just what I needed. I have specifically been hunting Versailles spindles so i didnt have to ream them. I got this set including proportioning/combo valve for 150.00 plus shipping. I think i am also going to get the MC since I just got a universal 9" booster with the correct bolt pattern for my brackets for $9.50 off Ebay. I like the idea of having the backing plates since that is the way Detroit builds all disc setups and the brackets dont give you that. I also like the fact that I will get a little over an inch of lowering in the front with them. My question is should they be aligned to Versailles specs instead of 60 tbird specs. I used a set of 55 olds spindles on a 35 ford straight axle one time and set them to the olds specs and everything was great. What do you think?
By the way great taste in wheels, cars and significant others Dave. Grant

just found out car (79 Versailles) has steel wheels. I can have them for 100 bucks if I take them with the spindles. If someone wants them let me know. G

Last edited by ncbird : 12-18-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbird View Post
...I got this set including proportioning/combo valve for 150.00 plus shipping...
The whole idea is to get a good disk brake setup CHEAP-ly. Bone yards have been collecting old Granada/Versailles spindles, and they know we need them REAL BAD. Consequently, they typically charge $300 for used spindles/rotors/calipers/prop valve. 'Supply & demand' is truly in force.

Remember, these cars were scrapped. The whole car wasn't worth $150. They simply remove the ball joints, snip the brake lines, put them in a big box (or two smaller boxes), and send them out. Not bad for twenty minutes work.

Grant, if you can get a complete Versailles setup for $150, that's GREAT! Since you are aligning a Thunderbird suspension, the geometry still uses T-bird spec's.

I have heard discussion about using NON-Ford products on Ford cars. Here's my take... I love Ford Motor Co., probably more than they love me. They intentionally DO NOT support their own older or classic cars. When we find product compatability, it's never from Ford, but from hotrodders (God Bless them) who try different setups. Sometimes aftermarket products are offered, usually by the hotrodders.

I guess it's nice to see Ford script on a more modern part used on a classic car, but that was never Ford's intent. Ford sells specific replacement parts only. Dealerships are not at liberty to swap Ford parts, or the factory warranty may be in jeopardy.

GM never intended for us to use their parts on Ford cars, either. Truth of the matter is, the big three have used each other's parts forever. Jeep and AMC used Autolite and Delco parts. So did Checker. Many of these parts are actually made by a third party, and sold with a Ford logo.

It matters little if you use a replacement Ford spindle, or an aftermarket bracket that fits your original spindle. Neither applications are authorized by Ford (and Ford couldn't care less). If Ford wanted us to enjoy power disk brakes on Squarebirds, THEY would have a kit, or they would license a company to sell Ford aftermarket products.

Common sense says it's OUR responsibility to buy quality/tested parts, and at least know who made them (and where). Now, more than any time in the past, we must really be careful with inferior foreign parts, because foreign parts are all we can get. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca