This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

I think you have the problem properly analyzed - now how to fix it? You might try getting your srewdriver under the bottom flange of the release mechansism and pushing it up. As I recall when I was reassembling my latch mechanisms after having them apart, it took a bit of fiddling to get them positioned so that the tab on the release level contacted the release trigger. If the lower section is loose it may have dropped down so that the contact you need isn't happening. Once you get the left side released, the other side is a piece of cake. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldevlin View Post
This is the sad part, I did remove the plug and have been able to push in with a screw driver and hit the lever, it moves all the way in but nothing happens...I do not think the actuator is strijing the release lever...but it could be jammed, I thank you for the pics though, it will give me perspective on what I am doing and how far, I might try to reach in with a long thin screw driver and see if I can fluke a hit on the release mechanism....I do not want to cut and weld the inner wheel well....so i will be trying long and hard....I have it parked for the winter so not rush, i am getting a body shop to paint the car and if I must I can get them to do the body repair
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Apprentice

jldevlin is on a distinguished road
Default Hi Howard

Unfortunatley I did tighted the bolts but I do understand what you mean, a question....I can reach in with a long screw driver and get between the lever and the metal covering of the lower piece, should i pry upward in front which would put downward pressure on the front of the lever forcing the back of the lever upward where hopefully I can get a touch of contact with the release lever...this is what I remember when looking at it while cleaning it up...does this make sence...or would I be better off getting the long screw driver under the entire lever and forcing the whole lever upward by using the entry whole as a pry and pull the screw driver downward forcing the whole lever upward as someone pulls the cable from the drivers seat?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

I don't see how that is going to help , John. I just had a look at mine and I don't see any way to get at the trigger arm from the access hole. I am wondering if there is a possibility that the tab from the release arm is on the wrong side of the trigger. When you pull the hood release cable is there any resistance? If not, then it is likely that the release arm is already passed the trigger. If there is resistance then there might be hope - but I'm not sure what more you can do. I thought about trying to get at the latching mechanism from below but I doubt that is possible. Hopefully someone on the forum has a brilliant idea as to how to solve your problem.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Apprentice

Default I Agree

I feel no resistance so I am either past the lever or under it and it is not striking it,I am able to pull the cable from the passengers side through the small opening as the hood is not closed there and doing so resets the lever all the way out so it must be under the actuating lever... I am going to try a few more things but it lookes like a 8" round hole in the upper wheel well will have to be cut to let me unbolt the latch and open it that way...only good thing is no wiring in the way as I cannot disconnect my battery either plus with the aid of a strong flashlight I can see quite clearly whats on the drivers side fender and where I can cut safley....at least I can re weld it in place or screw it in with tabs for emergeny access if needed again int the future
Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Apprentice

Default Your Idea

I am jacking it up tonight and maybe with a long rod I can squeeze it up past the exhaust and hit the trigger from below...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Does the hood pin remove by taking loose the nut or does the pin also have to be unscrewed after the nut is removed?

Maybe that little bit of movement would help pop it loose?

Eric
registry 5347
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Hood Won't Release

Hi John,

I see that others have given you information on how to unlatch that hood and how we did it. But we did not have the problem you seem to have. Ours was a case of the cable lock on the end breaking off and the cable coming loose from the "trigger" that allows you to pull on it and release the latch.

The very LAST thing I would do is cut a hole in the fender. If you have plenty of time and it does NOT have to be opened today, give it some more time for some of our other members to read this and see if they have ever run into this problem before and know how to clear it. Hopefully, someone will come a long who knows the trick to getting it to open.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Hi Yellow Rose

It will definatley be a last resort thing, I am going to jack up the car and if I can see the latch I can find something that can reach it and hopefully trigger it open...The car is parked until spring and I am taking things apart a bit at a time and redoing them, just finished under the hood and I can't look at it now...grr lol...but yes...cutting is the last resort
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Kinda like the broom stick fix

With that screw in the broom handle fix in mind I just realized I can see the pin easily that holds down the hood at the latch, If I either mount a hack saw blade to a long handle or don't laugh but a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade attached I can cut through the pin and release the hood, at least no damage to the car and I should be able to find someone with a pin somewhere or get it welded.....but first I will try to get the car high enough for me to get under and spring the latch
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey John,
After further investigation the drivers side (picture on left) is different from the passenger side (picture on right). Below you will find a picture of the drivers side hood latch. Where my finger is, you need to push that towards firewall. I would have someone hold pressure down on hood until you get lever pushed in (hold pressure on latch) then let them pull up on hood to see if it will release. Keep me informed!!!
Richard D. Hord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood latch.jpg (80.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 59TbirdPassHoodRelease.jpg (40.3 KB, 35 views)
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 12-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.