This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey John,
Yea I bought Christine off Ebay $7500.00. I called the seller and asked him if he would drive her 400 miles. He replied I don't think so I have drove her 40 miles. I told him, I'm driving her home! We were heading down the interstate running about 75 mph and I could see a little smoke in rearview. My wife was in front of me with tools, I called and told her to stop at next exit with a gas station. We pulled in I popped hood and power steering hose had came loose. I pushed hose back on and tightened the clamp, added power steering fluid and brought her to the house. That was the only problem we had. All in all she's a pretty good old car and I love her!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Apprentice

jldevlin is on a distinguished road
Default Squarebird in Canada

One last thing also, my bird was involved in a marriage break up apparently and the wife scratched the inside of the windshield in front of the drivers face with her diamond ring...now try to get someone replace it up here, I have asked many glass companys and they just look at me and say they can't help
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Hey John,
On the windshield, there is compound you can use to buff that out. I seen it on Trucks, but don't remember the name of the compound. So of the other Squarebird members may be able to help. If you find out what it is you should be able to do it yourself. On Trucks, he buffed out two wiper cuts in windshield. It looked pretty nice when he got done!
Eastwood may have the compound!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Windshield repair

Now that wuld be nice to have, even to smooth out some of them
Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Hey John,
Go to Google and type in Eastwood. In there search bar type in glass. There you will find the products I was talking about!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Richard, that hood latch trick is slick! It's exactly what he needs to know.

Oh, pardon my ignorance, John. Welcome to Squarebirds. As you can see, we have great members, eager to help our fellow 'birders. Richard is one of the best.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 12-07-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Hi John:
I hope that you have been able to get your hood open one way or the other. I've never tried using a screw driver through the holes in fender wells but I have used Richard's trick of having someone push down on the hood while I pulled the release lever. Once you do get it open, make sure you test the hood release mechanism before you close it again. All you have to do is use a large screw driver, preferably a Robertson or Phillips, and press the side of the blade down in the catch mechansim until it closes around the shaft of the screw driver. Then pull your hood release handle and see if it releases. If not, move the set screw in a bit and try it again. When you are satisfied that both sides are releasing properly you can close your hood knowing that it will open when needed.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 12-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Apprentice

Default Keeping you up to date

I have spent the last hour trying that trick and unfortunatley in my case it does not work....yet.....I will have someone here tomorrow that is more mechanically inclined than my wife who can either guide me to the lever with a big ole screwdriver as I can't budge it much ...the wife does not know what to look for so tomorrow night round 6 .....I do not think the lever is going in far enough (mis adjusted me thinks) to release the latch and I am pretty sure I have pushed it in a few times with the screwdriver but can't swear to it,

Last edited by jldevlin : 12-07-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 PM

Hey John,
Also Ray had posted this Of course, if we had known about those two holes, we would not have had to resort to the Good Ole Boy trick we used to open the passenger side latch! Rich made it out of my 6' push broom handle, drilled a hole in the end of it, and put a wood screw in. With the drivers side partially open, he was able to push the stick in, catch that spring loaded latch, pull it to him and spring the hood latch free. Whatever works!
Richard D. Hord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GudOlBoysHoodReleasePole.jpg (35.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg GudOleBoysHoodRelease.jpg (27.3 KB, 47 views)
Registry #33436
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Apprentice

Default Back yarder

I was a back yarder and learned all the unwritten tricks to get things done back in th 70s on the 60s cars I could only afford....grin...I sure hope I can pull one out before I have to bring it into a body shop for some cutting in the wheel well, if the adjustment is the problem and the cable housing is in the way of the levers ability to completly go in I may have a problem...but tomorrow we will try again..I got lottsa time