This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Apprentice

ParTaxer is on a distinguished road

I didn't make myself clear. I want to post the two pictures from this thread to another forum.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParTaxer View Post
I didn't make myself clear. I want to post the two pictures from this thread to another forum.
If it is mine, please feel free to do so.
Otherwise, you need to ask Ray
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

What were they thinking?? The original brakes would barely stop the
car . . . How was going to stop a trailer too??
If it's original . . . It would be a cool novelty to have on there though.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
What were they thinking?? The original brakes would barely stop the
car . . . How was going to stop a trailer too??
If it's original . . . It would be a cool novelty to have on there though.
There is an automatic brake on the trailers that sets in when you are breaking and the weight is going forward.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Is there still a demand for this hitch? Do you guys really want a hitch on your classic squarebird? Or, is this a 'collector' item?

If you guys seriously want more, I will see what I can do. - Dave
I would love one, it would save tearing apart our mountain-bikes to fit them in the trunk of the '66, I could mount them off one of those fancy brackets that fit to your trailer hitch.

Could you see if there is any record of the company making a hitch for a '66??

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Anders and Tom, I will call tomorrow. I have no idea what they might say, but the worst they could say is, "no". So, it's worth a try.

partaxer is referring to a 'receiver' style. Trailer companies sell universal hitches that bolt onto the frame for that type. Draw-tite makes them, too. Just fit to your frame, tack-weld, pull it off, weld, and paint. Then bolt it on, and you're good to go. Receivers are rarely plated.

I don't do much pulling, but a trailer hitch will save your bumper plating on steep driveways. Let the bottom of the hitch get scraped a little... might not make too much difference on an old bumper, but it sure does on a freshly re-chromed job. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430bird60 View Post
I have been told that there was a dealer option trailer hitch for the squarebird. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone by any chance have a photo? Thanks. Ken
Hi Ken,

As you know by now, yes there is!
Ray posted some pictures of it also, he has the same one as I have.(stamped: 1958-59-60 Thunderbird)
The trailer hitch on Alexander's Bird was marked only with 1958-1959 Thunderbird.
Before I purchased mine I placed some bids on another hitch with only 1958 Thunderbird on it.
(needless to say I didn't won that one....)
Conclusion: they were made all three years for our Squarebirds - the same shape and style - so they are inter changable. Just the stamped marking on them is different.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
Dave: I seriously like to have one of these "originals" if possible.
I might take the trip to The Netherlands and buy myself a old Constructam Comet 5 some day. Will give me a reason to visit Marco and have a Heineken with him
Hi Anders,

Great pics of the '60 with the Constructam!
If you want to come over and have a drink, no problem because I run a B&B!!
(Beer & Breakfast)

If you want to haul a (vintage) trailer with an original hitch you need to drill a hole in your bumper, please keep that in mind!
That's one reason why I still haven't mounted mine, the second reason is the rear springs/shocks.
For the '59 and '60 you can buy adjustable Rear Air Shocks from Monroe (#MA 739) but for our '58 I'm still looking for years now to get some adjustable shocks.
(All tips / info very appreciated!)

Good luck hunting.............
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post
Hi Ken,

As you know by now, yes there is!
Ray posted some pictures of it also, he has the same one as I have.(stamped: 1958-59-60 Thunderbird)
The trailer hitch on Alexander's Bird was marked only with 1958-1959 Thunderbird.
Before I purchased mine I placed some bids on another hitch with only 1958 Thunderbird on it.
(needless to say I didn't won that one....)
Conclusion: they were made all three years for our Squarebirds - the same shape and style - so they are inter changable. Just the stamped marking on them is different.
Sounds like they added a year in the stamping for each year, meaning itīs easy to see what model year you have.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default trailer hitch

I have some interesting information for those of you who are looking for original Draw-Tite Squarebird/Tbird trailer hitches!

bigmess16 is Corey, who is a sales rep for Draw-Tite Co, who made these original, stamped trailer hitches for our Squarebirds and other Ford products. simplyconnected ~ Dave, contacted Corey about the possibility of Draw-Tite making more of these trailer hitches. Corey wanted to see the pictures of them I posted, so he joined us!

Now, at this point, I have no idea, nor does Corey, possibly, if Draw-Tite would even want to start up production on this model 50 year later... Perhaps, if Corey was given an indication of how many would like to buy a Draw-Tite trailer hitch for the 1958-1960 Squarebirds, 1961-1963 Bulletbirds, and 1964-1966 Flairbirds, that might help the company make a decision.

So if you want one, you might post here to Corey ~ bigmess16 and let him know. This is an excellent chance to possibly bring back this product if the demand warrants it.

I think this warrants posting in the other two Forums, so I will.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm