This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Apprentice

Frankvv is on a distinguished road
Default Installing exhaust on my 59 TBird

I recently bought an aluminized exhaust system from Classic Exhaust in Geneva Ohio. I was dreading undoing the H pipe and putting on the new one, but surprisingly, that went very smoothly. However, I spent two hours messing around with the passenger side and cannot get the pipes high enough to get the oval muffler above the body line. I haven't even begun the driver's side, but expect that to be just as frustrating. The mufflers supplied are oval style and have the inlet on the left, outlet on the right, or visa versa. My pipe sits best either positioned at the center of the muffler, but it may go if I enter on the far right of the muffler. The problem with doing that is that the tail pipe would be positioned on the left side of the muffler when looking at the rear of the car, and that just does not seem correct. Or is it? I'm getting real close to scrapping the stock mufflers and putting on cherry bombs, which will guarantee my wife not wanting ride with me . Any thoughts on the stock muffler assembly? Could someone provide a picture of how your muffler(s) isv(are) positioned?
Thanks your help.
Frank
Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Frank, I sent you a Personal Message.

As far as muffler work goes, I have learned this: Rarely do muffler parts fit exactly the way you would expect. Muffler shops only carry a few 'stock' mufflers on their shelves, but they use them on most all cars. Muffler shops have everything they need to tweak any system into submission, including just heat.

I have saved hundreds (or thousands) by doing my own muffler work, but those guys who do it every day do a much faster and better job (for not much more money). Then they guarantee their work.

Good muffler shops love doing classic car/custom systems because it gives them a chance to actually practice their skills. I have gone to various muffler shops just to talk with the guys in back. It is easy to get a sense of who offers real talent and who is just putting his time in.

If you need an offset pipe, one of the guys will bend one and cut it to length for you. If he doesn't already have one on the shelf, it might take five minutes for him to make. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Frank. Dave hit the nail right on the head and is absolutely correct, when it comes to the exhaust boys. They love doing these classics and I have found they put just a little bit more into their install for you. Final point that Dave made " They guarantee their work" which is a bonus should something go wrong down the road ( or off the road ).
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 11-28-2009, 06:18 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

When I bought "Ruth", there was some kind of chromed endpipes on the ordonary exhaust. I never liked the way it looked as it reminded me of some kind of handles.
Then, after having my "issues" with the stucked choke, and the explosions of my mufflers, I bought new ones that could fit. The blown mufflers is a lot funnier to look at now, but it shows the position as when the car arrived at least.
But as I didnīt ( couldnīt ) change the directions of the whole system, I have to try my best to get them fit and as invisible as possible as well. The direction of the end pipes are down, but I cut them so the end just in line with the lower part of the bumpers.
A look in from the rear shows the funny position, but this was the best I could do with what muffles I could get my hands on, and with excisting exhaust system . The pic from the garage is if you look down and in. The one from the petrol station is more from a standing point of wiew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5105.jpg (85.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3548.jpg (51.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3550.jpg (54.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg sendbinary_med_loggo.asp.jpg (36.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4739-1.jpg (328.8 KB, 82 views)
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 11-28-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Apprentice

Frankvv is on a distinguished road

Anders,
Thank you for your comments and your advice. I am sooooo close to getting things to fit. By the way your blown muffler photos are very impressive: that must have been quite the "bang".
Frank
Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

The mufflers on "Old Betsy" are oval, inlet in the middle and outlet on the side, left side on the driver side and right side on the passenger side. Its the same muffler on both sides, just turned over. I installed a stainless exhaust system about 20 years ago (on my back in my garage), the mufflers were standard. As I recall I had very few problems. This summer I had to replace the mufflers but I had Midas do it. They ordered the right mufflers for it. I didn't stay to watch them fit the mufflers but they fit perfectly, tucked up under the rear fenders. They only charged me an hour's labor for each side plus the cost of the mufflers - well worth the cost. The only problem is that they are too quiet - now she sounds like a sissy! I don't have a picture of the underside but in the attached picture you can see the stainless down pipes end about an inch below the bumper and are located about an inch outside the centre of the outboard taillights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s camera w tonneau 800 x600.JPG (41.9 KB, 77 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Howard,
What a gorgeous Thunderbird. I had seen the small picture, but it does not give her justice! Love the tonneau cover!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 11-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Installing exhaust on my 59 TBird

Richard, Howard's beautiful '59 convertible is featured in the 2010 Squarebirds Calendar as the month of August! I used a different pose though. It was the only convertible featured this year.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm