This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Experienced

Gold Bird is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome plater for bumpers

My rear bumper needs to be re-plated and remove some small bumps, any suggestions on a good, reliable company that does that? Does not have to be in Michigan either. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Tom,
When I went to local car dealer to have Christine appraised for insurance. The guy there said there was a guy that came to a swap meet in Louisville Kentucky every year. All you had to do is call him, tell him what you have and he will bring the bumpers to a show near you. You take yours to him. It sounded like he was very reasonable! Don't know what state he is from, but I'm sure he travels alot!
If you like I will see if I can get this guys name and the company he is with!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I use a VERY reasonable company in Highland Park, Michigan (next door to the Ford Plant).

Micro Platers Sales
221 Victor St.
Highland Park, MI 48203
(313) 865-4200

They've been in business since 1948, and the price includes a lifetime warranty.

If you talk to the guys, they reduce prices as you show them more work. You can do just a bumper, but it helps if you show all your pieces at once. I had them do my bumpers, parking light housings, and grille parts for my '55 Customline. They did all of it for $400. If your bumpers need a little straightening or dent repair, they automatically mark it up and do it as part of the price. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Experienced

Dave, Thanks for that info, highland park is only about 2hours away from me, and my brother in law lives in Allen park. I will give them a call today. Tom
Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default Bumper supplier

That sounds like a great price for replating. I spent that just getting the front bumper done. I am going to see what they want to replate the lower "smile" that goes behind the front bumper.
I have used these guys for bumpers on my trucks and they have a restoration service with what look like great prices. It at least gives you a bench mark on what is available.
http://www.denverbumper.com/pricebook.html
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Experienced

Talked to Micro platers in Highland park michigan, they told me $305 for the large rear sectin plus $85 each on the smaller parts , total of five pieces. About $650 total. 5 to 6 weeks to get them done.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Slow Typist

Shipping and handling is a major part of the price. Bumpers are real long, heavy steel, and new chrome must be protected against rough handling. The guys in California have Mexico for cheap plating, but security is lax. Caravans of guys take their chrome-work across the border, and they sleep in their trucks until the work is done.

It is far better to bring your work into the chrome plater, negotiate your prices (because it is all custom work), and pick it up in person. At final inspection, if you find anything wrong, the plater will make it right at no additional charge. So, having a brother-in-law who lives close is a very good thing. He can inspect and receive the parts, then you can pick it up at any time.

You might save $150-$200 per bumper just in shipping costs (there and back, depending on distance), by delivering and picking up in person.

I had four 'ratty' looking '55 Ford bumper guards. They looked like someone used the car for push-starting. The side spot welds were wavey, and the upright faces were mashed and dented badly. I used my welder to strenghthen the inside plates and fill-in any voids. My disk grinder knocked-off the rough spots, and my sanding disks polished it smooth. When they came back from the chromer, they looked gorgeous; much stronger and smoother than original. If you have major repair work like rust rot, cut those thin sections out and weld some new steel in before plating. After polishing, it should look stock; after chrome, it should look 'show' quality. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Experienced

Dave, Thanks again for the tip, think I will pull the bumpers and take a drive next week. My brother in law lives in Allen Park which is somewhat close to Micro, he might be coming to Bay City soon so it might just work out! My bumpers are in pretty good shape, the main lower part has some small dings and the upper parts are just in need of new chrome. For sure not looking to send them to Mexico or California! Tom
Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Bird View Post
Talked to Micro platers in Highland park michigan, they told me $305 for the large rear sectin plus $85 each on the smaller parts , total of five pieces. About $650 total. 5 to 6 weeks to get them done.
Jeeeez!!!!!
I planning to have a minimum of $3000 avalible for booth my bumpers. And I am not at all sure the small parts will be included for that....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Bird View Post
Most platers won't give a quote without seeing the parts. I'm sure Micro gave you a general price, sight-unseen. If you go there, you may negotiate a much better price, especially if you have many pieces to do. That's my experience. - Dave

Edit:
Come to think about it, I have at least one front bumper I need rechromed (maybe two). Let's put the order together! I'm sure we can both benefit, here (since I am a repeat customer). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 10-21-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added more info at the bottom.