This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Apprentice

ParTaxer is on a distinguished road
Default I'm torn; color issue.

I recently purchased a 1960 T-bird with a color that I wouldn't choose initially. It is all original with 64K original miles. It is Gunpowder Gray (dark metallic) with a red and white beautiful interior. I have never seen this color on this car before. It needs some body work , rocker panels rust, etc. so a paint job is totally necessary. I feel like I should keep the "Y" factory code for the repaint but I think White would compliment the interior better and be more appealing. Do some colors increase the value more than others or is it better to keep it original? Thank you in advance for all comments.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hi Michael!

Keeping it the original color depends on whether or not you intend to keep or make it all original again. An all original Tbird will probably make it more valuable should you ever decide to sell it. If you plan on improving on her, modernizing her, like putting an alternator on her, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, or doing other modifications to her, than I would say paint her the color you want to.

But once again, she probably would have more value in her original condition. Should you be thinking of selling her in the future, keep in mind that there are a ton of white Tbirds out there, but few of the color she is now.

Can you post the data plate information? The VIN # and the other information on the plate. We like to make sure that all Tbirds we run across are recorded in the Tbird Registry that John Rotella runs. Also, it would be good to know if she was a late production run car or not. There are some differences between the early and later models.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 10-18-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

hi and welcome!

My own guess (nothing more than that) is that the maximum resale value of the car is when the color is the same as from the factory. That might be even more true if your car has low original mileage.

The other thing that comes to mind is how hard it is to change colors and have it not be obvious that it was changed. You have to remove alot of trim and other parts. Do you, for example, remove the motor and do the engine bay?

If you are reselling the car, you might think of two potential kinds of buyers: car collectors who appreciate all that is original, or just a buyer who likes your car because of styling and color and could care less about the Data Plate, paint code or anything else. The former would appreciate the original color; the latter would get blown away by Turquoise or Coral Pink.

In any event, in the end, it's your car!!

John
Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Michael,
She's yours do what you want! Christine is now white and when I redo her I want paint her in red with a white top. Crazy? Maybe I just like red and she's a nice car!!!
As Ray stated, front disc brakes, alternator, electric windshield wipers, bigger wheels, AC if she don't have it, chrome dress up kit, power door lock with remote and it can go on and on! I feel like as long as you don't make any drastic changes she still will bring a nice dollar if she is done right.
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Do what you want to do...car values means nothing, the Squarebirds themselves are a small market, not too much will change your chances of a resell.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

It appears to have been born on March 9, 1960. I feel like it would be much more expensive to try for "showgirl" status. My wife and I bought this to enjoy it. The color now looks like dark gray primer. There are a lot of modern cars with this color and some look good with luster but none of them have red interiors! I wish that there was a way to see how many were painted this color.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Super-Experienced

Well, Mike we can probably figure that out, LOL
is your bird on the tbird registry?
the VIN and data plate information is needed for a clear view of what was what when she was ordered, the only other thing would be the Holey Grail of the ROT sheet...

Just in case here's the link to the t-birdregistry :
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/

send me a pic at asti kennels at gmail dot com and I will post it for you...

Last edited by Coral : 10-18-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: inviting him to share a piccy
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Apprentice

Here is the info; haven't registered yet.
DATA TAG

BODY COLOR TRIM DATE TRANS AXLE
63A Y 55 09C 4 3

SERIAL# 0Y71Y139020
Will register when I can get a decent photo.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the VIN # and Data Plate information. That does confirm that the color is the original color and the interior was red and white when it came out of the factory. So it does not look like anyone in the past changed those. Unless they did and had a new data plate made. But probably not.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Super-Experienced

Hi ya Mike....

Y is Gunpowder Grey, also called Dark Grey Metallic
WHICH happens to be a RARE paint color, so I take back my original comment of repainting it any color...
55 is the red/white vinyl interior
09C is the 9th of March
your production number is 39020 so your bird is 'younger' than my bird at 52459

until you send me a picture to post or become a paid member to post your own, I'll use this '57 Baby Bird to illustrate the color, it is rather sharp actually...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunmetalgrey.jpg (19.5 KB, 72 views)