This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Mike,

On cars without the washer option like yours were the nozzles still installed in the cowl? Just curious.

That's one nice Raven Black car - think the Squarebirds look great in a "Tux".

Eric
registry 5347
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eric. Nope, there are no nozzles for the washers, but there are holes in the screen in the cowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_1826 (Medium).JPG (102.7 KB, 111 views)

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco59 View Post
I plan to install electric wipers this winter. Other than Pertronix it'll be the first non-stock item on the car, but it's a safety upgrade. My car didn't come with washer option, so I may have to come back to this thread, but there's an washer option with the electric wiper kit. http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000051h
Want to save about $15 AND shipping on the same electric wiper? I bought two of these units and am very happy with both.

JPL in Pennsylvania sells them on eBay with FREE shipping for $210. Of course, you can buy more options, like the extended shaft and the intermittant switch (which I did). The wiper unit is TOTALLY undetectable and my stock dash knobs look stock. You can also buy direct from the store (use a credit card, option) and bypass eBay for the same price. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Super-Experienced

Thanks for the tip, Dave !

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Slow Typist

ParTaxer, I took some pictures while installing my electric wiper motor. The '59 Galaxie motor is inside the engine compartment. The '55 Customline does the complete wiper assembly under the dash. Neither of these cars use pulleys or cables (like some Thunderbirds).

Electric Wipers - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default picture of elec wiper installed

Here is a picture of the electric conversion installed with the cable etc. Like was posted I bought mine off Ebay with intermittent option and long shaft. Grant

Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Slow Typist

Know what I like most about your electric wiper system, Grant? It doesn't interfere with your new air conditioning unit. Good job, and nice fit! That car will be sweet when its done. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

these cars are very compact under the dash as everyone here knows. We have moved alot around to make it all fit since I have hoses going to the center outlet as well as defroster. Thanks for the kind words and as you can see it is much easier with the dash out so if someone is planning on installing aftermarket air I would do the wipers at the same time. If I wasn't going to get up under the dash I would strongly consider a vacuum pump from a diesel pu and a small vacuum canister to provide uninterrupted vacuum to the original motor. Just my thoughts. Grant
Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbird View Post
...If I wasn't going to get up under the dash I would strongly consider a vacuum pump from a diesel pu and a small vacuum canister to provide uninterrupted vacuum to the original motor...
Grant, I agree. I recognized your hard work right away when I saw the A/C. You're right about not having much room. Like you, I pulled my '55 dash for the A/C and wipers, but I worked under the dash for the '59 Galaxie.

Isn't it easier to install an electric wiper, than to go through all that pump and canister stuff, just to end up with a poor-performance vacuum motor? Hey, I'm all for originality, but this is one of those things you cannot see. Above all, it is a safety feature.

My folks are from PA, but I still don't know how cars climbed mountains without wipers. And snow? Forget it. Its easy to see why all OEM's went to electric, and never looked back.

Grant, what kind of firewall mat is that? Is it something we can buy in rolls? I bought some of that aluminum foil/bubble wrap, but it justy doesn't seem like it would last very long. Especially if anyone pushed on it with their feet. Yours looks more like what I need. - Dave Dare

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Whoo boy..Grant, that's the first good look I got at the job it'll be to install elec wiper motor... and me with a bad back... hmmm. May have second thoughts now. I'm not pulling the dash.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop