This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:23 AM

jonecin is on a distinguished road
Default purchasing 63 TBird this week

Hello!
New to the thread! Looks like a lot of good info on here. Hope someone can give me some insight on these sweet cars.

I've always loved the 61-63 TBirds and I think I found one locally. Just a few questions to make sure I'm getting a decent deal.
The Good:
The 63 TBird has a rebuilt engine with about 500 miles on it, runs excellent when I test drove it. Idles great. Interior in great shape. Body is straight, no rust that I could see.
The not so good:
The paint is black but seems to have a lot of cracking underneath the clear coat. Suspension squeaks a bit when front end is pushed down. Small leak from transmission. A little smoke coming from the engine when we started it but it went away after the drive. Tires are old, little dry rot. Car has been sitting for 6 months in this guys garage.

He wants 7k for it, should I go for it? It would be my daily driver. I have only owned old muscle cars in the past 67 stang, 73 gto but I think I want a cruiser. How are these as daily commuters? I heard the transmissions are problematic, is this true?

Thanks in advance!
John
Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

texastomeh is on a distinguished road

John,

To paraphase an old saying; "The two happiest days in a T'Bird owner's life is the day he buys a T'Bird and the day he sells it!".

Only funning you!! Welcome to The Brotherhood.

Your description of your "treasure" sounds VERY familiar to a LOT of us. That is EXACTLY the way we started off. A '63 'Bird as a "cruiser" is (in my opinion) the BEST choice you could have made. I say that because I made the exact same choice.

ENJOY!!!

texastomeh
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Apprentice

ozbird is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

sounds good, after you factor in new tyres, front end might just need greasing but may need new bushes etc.

Engine smoke may be valve seals, possible to fix in car.

I purchased a 62 with original transmission - still worked ok. I've not heard bad things about the transmission but had mine rebuilt anyway.

Daily commute sounds like fun but not if you are stuck in traffic jams; water temp goes up, fuel goes down!!

Put a link to images if you end up making the purchase!!

cheers Graeme
Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonecin View Post
...I've always loved the 61-63 TBirds...
John, if you are serious and passionate about this car, it's a steal. Plan on spending more on the car as you upgrade. This holds true for EVERY classic car.

IMHO, the sweetest car is one you personally worked on, and put yourself into. I hope you have many years of great pleasure out of your new Thunderbird. There's nothing like it. - Dave Dare

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-01-2009, 04:25 AM

Thanks! Yeah it really is all about putting some of your soul into your own classic. I sold my classic last week and I spent the last 4 years of my life driving and working on it. I'm excited about the Bird, hopefully tomorrow I'll have my new ride. I'll post some pics!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Apprentice

my61brd is on a distinguished road

7k sounds really high for what you've described.
Can you post pics of the '63?

I paid 6k for my '61 2 years ago and we all know prices haven't gone up....

my '61...

Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 AM

Picked up the car today. Got him down to 6500, I tried 6k but he wouldn't budge. He bought the car a few years ago for 7500 and spent 2500 rebuilding the engine with receipts which runs like new. Get this...his original FOR SALE sign in the backseat says 12k firm!! I guess he realized how much these cars are actually going for and put it back up for 7k.
I have an issue with the neutral safety switch, it only starts in neutral and I think the transmission pan gasket needs to be replaced.

my61bird I really like the way your car sits. Did you put airshocks in the back to raise the back up a little bit?

Last edited by jonecin : 10-02-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: bad image address
Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey John,
You got yourself a sweet ride! What a steal!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

John agreed that $6500.00 was money well spent and good luck with the neutral switch.
58HT #33317
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Itsadriver is on a distinguished road

Nice Ride and an Air conditioned car too, sweet.
Best be putting that drivers side engine bay brace back on ASAP as the whole front clip is just bolted on and buy not having that balance of that brace might cause problems.
The neutral safety switch is quite simple if there are no wire connection problems, just experiment buy loosening the bolt and adjusting it back and forth till it starts in park and neutral, one way park starting only, the other way neutral start only, find the happy medium.
Again nice find.