This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Apprentice

430bird60 is on a distinguished road
Default Clock hands

Can anyone tell me how to get the clock hands to move on my squarebird? I have looked at two different clocks and can't get the hands to move. I pull out the knob on the front and it engages the gear but the hands won't move. Is there a secret or are both clocks broke? Thanks
Ken
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Ken, if you give me until Saturday I have a junker clock I
can take some pictures of the innards of. This will show you what parts are involved.

My own inclination would be to take the back off and do some cleaning and then lubrication (sewing machine grade oil) to the components involved in setting the time. There may be so much resistance due to dirt, grease or lack of oil that something is just spinning or slipping rather than doing what you want.

If the clocks electrically run then I am sure the setting function can be fixed.

Later: I got lucky and found the bulk of a clock with no case. Here is what I found. When you pull the shaft out, you engage two gears which then allow movement of the hands. When you let go, a spring disengages them. Now mine did the same as yours - nothing. But the reason was clear: the little chrome knurled knob on the end of the shaft was slipping as it is threaded. If I were using this clock, I would put the knob on with Loctite Red. OR only turn it clockwise.

Let me know what you find....

John

Last edited by JohnG : 09-17-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Not sure this link will work so you may have to go to the main Tech discussion page for 58-60 Tbirds and search on "clock". There is some good clock info in the post "Fuel gauge is working...."

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ighlight=clock

Eric
Old 09-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Ken, twice I have repaired squarebird nonworking clocks by simply jumping them to a battery on the work bench, then liberally squirting WD40 into the gears and mechanism. Worked both times.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Apprentice

Default clock hands

Thanks to everyone that responded. I hooked the clock up to a battery and it is working. The problem I have appears to be the gear at the end of the shaft that you turn to set the clock. The gear just turns on the shaft. I can move the hands by manually turning the gear that the shaft gear is supposed to turn. Anyone know how the gear is attached to the shaft and how to remove the shaft? Thanks
Ken
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Ken, you have a tough one here!! I have a junk clock in front of me.

The shaft visibile from the front of the clock appears a tad
thicker than the rear part the gear is on. Also there is a collar on the outside which keeps the spring from pulling the shaft further into the clock when you let go of it. Those two things keep you from removing the shaft from the inside of the clock.

On the other end, to the inside past the offending gear is a round head which appears to serve no function. The end of the shaft seems to be peened over to hold it.

If I were really out to fix the problem, I might drill the peening off, remove the head and then see if I could solder the gear to the shaft. If you dont like soldering, you could clean things with thinner and air and then try Loctite Red.

Now you are sure the knurled knob is not spinning on the end of the shaft ?? That would be an easier fix.... just making sure.

John
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Apprentice

Default clock hands

I found the gear had slipped off the spline on the stem. I coiled a piece of small gauge copper wire around the stem b/t the gear and the end of the stem to hold the gear from slipping again. It works fine now and it wasn't necessary to take the clock apart any further. Thanks to all of you that assisted me.

Ken
430 sunroof