This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default We're not alone!! - overflow tanks

hi everyone

Many postings have been made on this site about the persistent leakage problems of the overflow tanks. Almost everyone has had one that leaks, be it original, repaired or reproduction.

I look at an Avanti owners site from time to time to help a friend out who owns a '63 and recently found the following post which I thought many of you would find amusing or comforting (misery loves company?):

-------------------------------------------
Topic: Radiator reserve tank conversion (Blarson51 -- 10th December 2005 - 09:05 AM)
I am having trouble with persistent leakage from the radiator reserve tank on my '63 R2. It's enough to spray small amounts of coolant all around my recently rebuilt engine when I drive. I've had the tank repaired (twice) and it still leaks. I've seen several Avantis at shows with nicely done plastic overflow tanks located in the right front corner of the engine compartment, elimiating the reserve tank. Although I'm trying to keep my car mostly original, I'd like to make it as reliable and driveable as possible, and I'm tired of the mess the overflow tank is making. Dos anyone have any suggestions for the conversion? I can't find any references to this in the last couple of years of the Avanti magazine. Thanks. Brian

happy holidays! :)
John '58 Hardtop
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: We're not alone!! - overflow tanks

hmmm.
sounds familiar....

I have had 3 original tanks rebuilt twice each - they still leak.
I have bought and replaced 2 reproduction tanks - they still leak.

I hate 'em. If there were a stronger word, I'd use it.

How hard can it be to get an overflow tank to simply stay together at the seams? It's pretty ridiculous.

I would put a big 'ol plastic milk jug bolted to the fenders with lag screws if I could be sure it wouldn't spew coolant all over the underside of my hood! Original or not.

I'm thinking of going with a later model tank. My '64 had the ribbed overflow tank and it never leaked.

What do these cooling systems hold? 15psi or so?
My neighbor with Chevies laughs his *ss off every time he comes over cause I am CONSTANTLY screwing with the overflow tank (replacing or repairing).

augh.
Ok, deep breaths...

Casey
'60 hardtop
Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I have found that tanks that leak will leak no matter how many times you try to fix them. My success is to find an original tank that has not been repaired and is not leaking. the one in my 1959 has now not leaked in over ten years.

I hope I did not jinx myself.

I am surprised that the reproductions leak.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

I am on my second repro tank and this one lasted almost 8 months but it's now leaking. And it's too late to return it - 200 bucks for nothin.
very frustrating.....

Casey
Old 12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Experienced

bobs58

Just a thought. Any chance you could use the same sealing chemical that is used to seal gas tanks and repair minor rust out holes? I realize we are dealing with different chemicals, pressures, and higher temperatures but I'm curious if anyone has given this a try? My current tank is OK but it sounds like sometime in the future I'll have to deal with this problem.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Webmaster

Those stop leak products plug any small hole external and internal. Our 'Birds run hot enough. An additional problem with those stop leak additives is that while they stop leaks under pressure, when the cooolant is cool and without pressure, coolent oozes from the holes to the outside world.

I have used them in the past. I would not recommend them unless you are running a beater.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 12-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Experienced

bobs58

I know what you mean. I was not referring to radiator products like Bars-Leak. I was wondering about epoxy based products that you slosh around in your gas tank. I was thinking of sloshing the epoxy stuff just in the expansion tank and not throughout the complete cooling system.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Webmaster

I have not tried that. When I have tried using epoxy externally, it either leaked at that place or found another place to leak.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 12-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Experienced

Shorebird is on a distinguished road

Speaking of running hot...I found a local company that made an aluminum radiator for my soon-to-be 59 t-bird. ONLY $350.00 This is half the price I got from anyone on line. I have not installed it hence my car is on a rotisserie. But is looks great in the box for now. This guy was great and after further conversation he was explaining how his company has just begun to ship them out nationally. I got the number at work if anyone is interested. I can also post pictures.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Experienced

ayrwoof

ya need a cooling system presure tester to screw on tank .Start engine
see how "fast" presure builds compared to a good car. squarebirds
should leak off cap psi at 13.5.........dave///