This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Experienced

Yellowbird is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering fluid

Just changed power steering hoses on my '58. I looked at an older thread concerning power steering fluid. It recommends using Type F transmission fluid.

I wanting to know why newer power steering fluid is not usable in these systems.
Thanks.
Leonard
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbird View Post
...I wanting to know why newer power steering fluid is not usable in these systems...
Len, I wouldn't use any power steering fluid. Who is it approved by (Ford, GM)? They keep improving transmission fluid, and that IS approved by the OEM's. I haven't seen Type-F in awhile, but Dextron III is available everywhere.

I had a discussion with a Hi-Lo mechanic at the plant about that. He said, "If it's red, go ahead and use it."

Now, that is a general statement. Remember, Type-F is not meant to be as much a lubricant as, a means to transfer power. It's hydraulic fluid. The system envronment is not hostile so no detergent, and the owner's manual doesn't mention anything about changing it. There isn't even a filter. If kept clean, it should last.

The only concern is compatability with seal materials. I prefer using tranny fluid because it works the best and is much cheaper than power steering fluid, which can be anything. I use Dextron III (BMW spec's it too).

What CAN you use? I'm sure you could use expensive synthetic, but why? If you are inclined to change your PS fluid, ok. Nothing works better than transmission fluid.

When your fluid turns dark, jack up the front tires, remove the drain line, catch it in a container, and turn the wheels from lock to lock until fluid stops coming out. Reconnect the hose, fill with that wonderful Dextron III transmission fluid, turn the wheels lock to lock again several times to work out air bubbles, then top-off. FWIW, IMHO.

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Experienced

Dave,
The fluid I looked at was approved by Ford. However, what does that mean. I'll go with your advice and go with red. I looked on O'Reilly's website and they have a Type F fluid. I'll try to pick it up.
I appreciate your input!
Leonard
Old 09-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Slow Typist

A fluid that meets O.E. standard typically has specific application information printed on the label.

A general statement claiming the fluid meets O.E. requirements DOES NOT guarantee good fluid quality.

Currently there are no API (American Petroleum Institute) standards established for power steering fluid which is why there are so many questionable brands out there. The only standards you can trust today come from the O.E.M.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Experienced

The one I bought had the following statement: meets performance requirements of ForD ESW-M2C128-C and D. It also listed GM,C hrysler,AMC and Saginaw.
You are correct that there is not an API number listed. So I'm on my way to look for Type F or Dextron III.
You also mentioned the removing the drain line to change fluid. Which line do you use as the drain line?
Thanks.
Leonard
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Cool

Dextron 6 is the latest & greatest.
The Ford manual says Type F ATF.
Remember, Sq/Birds don't have true Pwr Strg. It's a manual gearbox with hyd pwr asst. Earlier Corvette's had the same syst. They used ATF too.

It's a good system. I've had little or no problems. My dad had the hyd cyl rebuilt probably 25 yrs ago. A cntl valve w/new hoses shortly after that.

I have to admit for a car with more miles than the Space Shuttle, it's relatively bullet proof. It's on it's 3rd engine.
The only high failure thing I can see is the (stock) transmission. He probably replaced it or rebuilt it 5 or 6 times til he put the large case big boy in there. It's been worked on (massaged) a little but it's been in there 20 years. A C-6 will be next, when this one pukes.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
My local Autozone has Type F fluid as well. That's what I put back in my 1960 Bird's pwr. steering system....

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
My local Autozone has Type F fluid as well. That's what I put back in my 1960 Bird's pwr. steering system...
Jon, after all those years of using Type-F, have you ever had an issue with it? I never did. Kinda makes me wonder why anyone would buy power steering fluid, or why does it even exist? Some sites push changing it. Well, ok. After a decade of service, I guess a changing mine might be in order. I just never think about it (unless it gets dark). Sometimes, I think folks do more damage by letting dirt in the cap when they open it. That's why many reservoirs are see-through. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Well, I'm only 37 yrs old & I've owned my '60 since 1991. I haven't had any problems with Type 'F' fluid in these years. I even used it in my Cruise-O-Matic up until I had to have it rebuilt (around 1995). The shop owner told me the newer style clutch material would be fine with regular Mercon-Dextron trans fluid...

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Jon:

Correct on using the Dex with new style clutch material. Type F can be used but will give a more solid shift.

With older style clutch material, Dex can give a sluggish shift. Type F is what should be used.

If in doubt as to whether the tranny has been rebuilt, Type F is best because it can go both ways.

We went through this back in 200??? Type F also for PS.

Is KULTULZ around any more?

Ford Transmission Forum link http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/

Last edited by bcomo : 09-16-2009 at 12:30 AM.