This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default A Squarebird Oddity?!

I am posting part of an email that I just received from John Rotella of the Tbird Registry. It regards a 1959 Tbird that is being offered for sale. I think I just saw this on CraigsList last night and wondered about this strange thing. I will post some pictures of this Tbird and you can see the cover that someone, either at the plant, or after that, put over the Heater/AC Control on the center console. And the cover over the blower hole in the engine compartment. This is a reply to Frank, a potential buyer of this Tbird. As you will see, John said that Wixom never made a "heater deleted" Tbird.
"Hi Frank

Well to be really accurate, it is actually a 1959 Thunderbird without the optional heater. Ford never made a "heater delete" Thunderbird. Starting in 1962, the heater/defroster became standard equipment, and unlike other Ford products of the day, the delete option was not offered on Thunderbird or Lincoln.

Anyhow we really do not have accurate information about how many were made with or without any particular option, but in my opinion, 98% were built with the optional MagicAire Heater.

I would say that the firewalls were all built with the heater hole in place, and that a cover was used for non-heater cars like this one. The wiring was likely part of all firewalls, too. But I really do not know for sure. As far as the dash plate it is hard for me to see it very good. And likewise I believe a dash cover would have been used as it would have been more cost-effective to build all of the consoles with the heater control hole.

I know of only one other Square Bird without a heater, it is in the Rochester NY area and it was originally sold in California. I am copying my friend Ray Clark about your car, he moderates a Square Bird Forum so maybe he has some input.

BTW the 3-speed manual transmission does seem to almost "validate" the non-heater situation, as far as what a potential buyer may have chosen. But of course the two items are not dependent on one another.

Best Regards,
John Rotella Ė Director of LOVEfords
www.lovefords.org

Frank R. van Vliet wrote:
Good Morning,
I am looking at a 1959 Thunder Bird which has the original 300HP 352 C.I. V8, 3 speed on the column, 9" with 3.70 gears, it has apparently, the heater delete option. This is a Texas car and it is pretty plain, so not have heat is possible. Data plate info: Body(63A)color(GE)trim(6X)date(11E)trans(1)axle(3) . I donít have the build data and I am not sure if this is a factory installed delete, or if this is an aftermarket attempt at removing the heater. Note that the blower wires appear to be there which is making me suspicious. With that said, can you provide your opinion as to whether or not the plat in the engine compartment and the cover in the dash look to be factory correct? I sold my Square Bird several years ago and Iím very interested in getting another, and I like the uniqueness of this one. Thanks for your help.
Frank.

Frank R. van Vliet, MBA"

I have told both John and Frank that this looks like someone's after market idea. Neither the center console cover, or the engine well cover look professionally done to me. Look at the engine well blower motor cover close up... What say you?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg '59HeaterDeleteTbird1.jpg (69.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg '59HeaterDeleteEngineWell.jpg (29.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg '59HeaterDeleteEngWellCloseUp.jpg (28.4 KB, 100 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-23-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Delete

The firewall cover probably looks "ragged" because of the sealer oozing out around it. The console blank-off plate looks to be the correct design, but an off-center shot would show how the plate is slightly depressed from the outer rim of the cover. I assume when you're looking at an upstate NY car you're thinking of Bill Kurrasch's '59? If so both items look like what was in his car when I photographed it at the VTCA Int'l. in Toronto in '88 (which William Wonder got from me to use in his book), but I've been wanting to get better pics for use in the '58-'60 OFS for some time.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks, Alan, for your observation! We are always pleased to see you comment on things of this nature because of the vast amount of knowledge and experience you have. So, it appears that this might be a one of a kind car. A '59 Tbird without a heater... It is to bad that we do not have good records of every Squarebird made. The Broadcast sheet would probably state that it was manufactured without a heater, but that ROT sheet has not been found that I know of. If the gentleman should buy this Tbird, I am going to encourage him greatly to see if he can find that Rot/Build/Broadcast sheet to see what it says. I certainly hope the pictures I posted here will give you the better shots you have been looking for. Not having seen pictures of the NY Tbird, this is the first I have heard about a Tbird produced without a heater. I am going to get my WW book out and see if I can find those pictures!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-23-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Additional comments.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Something else to consider is on other Ford models (non Tbird) of that period what is done to the motor inlet and outlet water ports for the heater delete car? (block off plate - hose crimped - hose plugged?)

Is the same thing done to this motor on the heater ports?

Eric
registry 5347
Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 PM

This Tbird is a one owner Tbird that has been in the family since new. It is located in North Texas. It was not on CraigsList, but is on eBay and is currently still for sale. Here is the Item #200376238835 There are a fair amount of pictures there, but none of the engine bay showing that cover. There are a couple of more pix of that Heater/AC cover through not as good as the one posted.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Just a quick note, cars, including Tbirds, were manufactured without heaters but it was a relatively small percentage. That percentage however usually included all cars destined for places like Hawaii, Panama, the Phillipines etc... It may not seem like that would cover too many but remember that many military officers wives tooled around in expensive cars while stationed in foreign countries and Hawaii was also a place where Tbirds were very common. As far as a heater delete, there never has been a "heater delete option" that is just a common description. Heaters were either optional or standard. If they were standard then there was no delete and if the were optional then a delete was not an option. Most people refer to it as an option because you usually had to actually order a car to get one that wasn't built with a heater. Hawkrod
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

As Ray mentioned and the ebay description says:

"This car was bought brand new in San Antonio,TX. It is a numbers matching car. It has been in the family since new,it probably as close to an original as you will get."

Should the Horn Ring Center Emblem (Medallion) not to be white instead of black on this '59?
see picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '59HeaterDeleteTbird1.jpg (69.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
I have requested a photo of the firewall from the owner. They sent me a email and are going to try to send it to me. I will post it when I get it!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 AM

Hi Marco, Yes, as I recall, the center medallion of the horn should be white for a '59. And the power seat knob, if it has power seats, should be white also. The '58's should be black. Mine is black because my white one broke and Bird Nest did not have any white ones at the time.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Well guys they were nice enough to email me the pictures of the firewall, and here they are!!!
I sent him a thank you for sending me the pictures and told him that I was with Squarebirds and that we were discussing the no heat option. Guys if you know someone that needs a good Thunderbird heres one to jump all over. She is a very nice Thunderbird!!!
Richard D. Hord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '59 pic.jpg (346.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg '59 pic 2.jpg (376.8 KB, 105 views)
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 08-25-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added comments