This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default Nice, "low mileage" '58 HT on EBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...=p4506.c0.m245

claims to have 36,000 original miles. What do you people think?? I am always skeptical since a) the odometers turnover at 99,999 b) that was 51 years ago so this delightful car somehow went 700 miles a year

John
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

It is a nice looking '58! It looks to be a good buy for someone. Did you notice that the mirror is in a pretty good location in regards to it's position on the fender? It is not on the door, and further advanced towards the gun sight than at the beginning of the fender panel. It is not so far advanced that it would be in the way of someone working on the engine.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
...36,000 original miles. ...51 years ago so this delightful car somehow went 700 miles a year...
The sign of a good restoration is, it doesn't look restored.
Your second link was great, John. Which picture are you in?

Seals don't last 50 years, especially the stuff Ford used back then. This car is in Ohio. I'm in the rust belt too, so I seriously doubt the car's originality. I would have to see it in person to determine, for real. As for the mileage, it probably was driven for a few years by one owner, OR, when they did a major overhaul on the engine, they also pulled the odometer and reset it. So it may have, 36,000 original miles on a rebuilt engine (although this may be a stretch). Frankly, I would rather have a newly overhauled engine (using modern parts and gaskets) if it was done right. By 36,000 miles, any problems would have surfaced. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
Go to Ebay and ask him!
Also go to Ebay and check out the 1960 Thunderbird item #150364992708. She needs some TLC, but she is a nice reasonable priced '60!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 08-15-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM
John

The motor pretty clearly has been out of the car due to the paint work on it...

we had a guy on here a couple years ago . . . Mark from Illinois... had a 1960 also in silver with 19K original miles...every photo was consistent with such low mileage.

The one here is in the TBird Registry http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5604

turns out I submitted it last June as it was for sale then as well. Current owner has had it a few years as it was in PA in 2000.

Nice car in any event but I was curious as to what any of you thought. There is a current trend in car collecting towards unrestored cars but this is not one of them.

John

PS to Dave: I took all photos so no pix of me!!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Regarding the '58 for sale, I also doubt it would be an original motor and mileage on that bird. It would have to be sitting in a climate controlled garage all these years and only taken out to drive on Sundays! That could very well be the mileage on an engine that was recently overhauled though.. Not a bad looking '58! The '60 is interesting also. He has the mirrors, but they are not on. Makes you wonder if it ever had mirrors on it. It probably did, but were taken off during painting and never put back on again.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-15-2009, 02:55 PM
John

For the hell of it I sent the seller a question asking what records lead him to believe it had 36K original miles, as he had only been the owner for a fraction of its life (The TBird Registry shows a different owner in 2000).

I think if you are going to make such a substantially significant statement that has an impact on the value of the vehicle, you ought to be prepared to back it up. Heck, why not say Elvis drove it to jam with the Jordanaires only on Thursday nights once a month??
Old 08-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey John,
I though Elvis drove it to Woodstock
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM
John

Memphis to Bethel, NY would have added some miles!!

I got a reply:

Ive owned it 5 years. A good friend in PA owned it for 15 years. He had purchased it from an acquaintence who owned it from the early 80's when it had 28K miles. A maintence log was kept from that time documenting mileage etc. Other than that I guess you have to trust people.

So... you're standing there in front of a car that is claimed to have 36K miles on it. What do you look for that distinguishes it from a good restoration with 136K miles, say??

john

Last edited by JohnG : 08-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
...I guess you have to trust people...
No you don't! As soon as he sells the car, THAT'S IT, he's done. Two words come to mind:
Buyer BEWARE!

Who lies more than a used car salesman? Then you should TRUST him? Hogwash. All he has to say is, "I didn't know that."

I bought my '55 Customline from a guy that swore it was original. When I replaced the broken glass, I found all kinds of overspray. When I prepared the fenders for paint, I found bondo in the usual rust areas. If I didn't plan on a total restoration, I might have been mad, but I'm not.

Just don't look me in the eye and lie about stupid crap. I hate a seller who misrepresents his product. They stay up nights designing ways to take your money.

Sorry for ranting. I just got done with a distributor who under quoted my order (which is real rare). He plainly didn't know the item he was selling. When I ordered ten, he quickly found every excuse to refund my $500 and back out of the deal.

I know my business, and I very carefully scrutinize what I buy. Many times, "what you see is NOT what you get," it's really a fašade.
- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca