This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:14 PM

1SqBd
Default 58 - 60 Ford B9SF 18805 Radio Restoration

Has anyone had any experience restoring or rebuilding the Motorola-built, 2-piece AM Radio that came in the Squarebirds?

I see several service shops listed in Hemmings but haven't called them yet, pending any recommendations of other forum members.

I have four brand new tubes for the AM-tuner-head unit and understand the transistorized power amp module is a a little difficult to get out? Anyone tried removing the power amp module?

Does anyone know if the power supply vibrator is located in the head unit? They were usually the first thing to go in vintage fifties tube-type car radios.

Lee S.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 58 - 60 Ford B9SF 18805 Radio Restoration

hi Lee
I had alot of problems with mine and have been through most of it.

The amp is not too bad to get out if you don't mind getting under the dash. I think it is held in by 4 hex head self tapping screws.
It has a couple of transformers and some power transistors in it. You have to hope the transformers are OK as they are not available as a separate part.

My radio was in poor shape (I guess we should refer to the dash portion as the "tuner"?) as someone had physically damaged an internal adjuster. I sent it to Barry Dalton, an "antique radio doc" whose listing was in Hemmings. this was kind of a shot in the dark as I had to start somewhere. He did a nice job and got it back quickly. It has worked very well since then.His email is : radiodoc@rvi.net

Assuming yours is not damaged like mine, you could start by simply replacing all the tubes and seeing how it works. There are only 4 and they don't cost much. There are tons of vaccum tubes on the Internet, all NOS.

Once you get it working, there is a "trimmer" adjustment on the bottom. You also want to make sure the antennae is in good shape, including being grounded (this being a possible problem in cars that have been painted or have some key rust).

There are often used TBird radios on Ebay but they are rarely tested and most do not include the amplifier as everyone thinks it's in the radio. I bought a spare when I saw it and keep it around for future need.

My impression is that the 58-60 TBird radio is pretty unique in this setup of a separate amp.

Something I have never bothered to investigate is whether a current vintage car amplifier would work or not.

If you need to change the speaker (which could have rotted or filled up with debris), pay attention to the resistance value of what you put in as the TBird speaker is an odd resistance (I can't remember if it is 4 or 8 ohms). It is not impossible to match, but not trivial, either. It is an oval shaped, maybe 3x6".

John
58 Hardtop
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Experienced

JBird is on a distinguished road

>Has anyone had any experience restoring or rebuilding the
>Motorola-built, 2-piece AM Radio that came in the
>Squarebirds?
>
>I see several service shops listed in Hemmings but haven't
>called them yet, pending any recommendations of other forum
>members.
>
>I have four brand new tubes for the AM-tuner-head unit and
>understand the transistorized power amp module is a a little
>difficult to get out? Anyone tried removing the power amp
>module?
>
>Does anyone know if the power supply vibrator is located in
>the head unit? They were usually the first thing to go in
>vintage fifties tube-type car radios.
>
>Lee S.

This guy is a HAM operator and he just reconed/recoiled my console speaker for 15 bucks. He restores old radios. His website is:
http://rogue.northwest.com/~cerasin/resto.html

If you are up to the task of changing capacitors and tubes here is a Howard Sam's Photofact for the 94MS radio. This has the reststance readings too.
Sams
http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/pdf/FO..._PHOTOFACT.pdf

Resistance Table
http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/pdf/FO...ANCE_TABLE.txt

Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Experienced

JBird is on a distinguished road

>Has anyone had any experience restoring or rebuilding the
>Motorola-built, 2-piece AM Radio that came in the
>Squarebirds?
>
>I see several service shops listed in Hemmings but haven't
>called them yet, pending any recommendations of other forum
>members.
>
>I have four brand new tubes for the AM-tuner-head unit and
>understand the transistorized power amp module is a a little
>difficult to get out? Anyone tried removing the power amp
>module?
>
>Does anyone know if the power supply vibrator is located in
>the head unit? They were usually the first thing to go in
>vintage fifties tube-type car radios.
>
>Lee S.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Experienced

juantejeda is on a distinguished road

I had mine restored at a little radio / electronics shop in Pismo Beach in California. The guy did a great job. He can restore them to original or make them into a digital AM/FM that look exactely like the original. The buttons all work the same. The cost is a little high, but over all I was very satisfied with the work. He is a one man shop and it's not the fastest, but the work is good. He installs the digital electronics made by some outfit out of Florida I believe. The name of the outfit, whicj is now in Oceanom CA (right next to Pismo Beach) is Vintage Radio Restorations, Bob's Radio & TV Service, 1415 S. 4th St., Oceano, CA 93445, (805)489-8200, http://www.bobsradio.com

Good luck.

TJ
Thunderbird Registry #7960