This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Experienced

Larry Jones is on a distinguished road
Default lower ball joint squeaking

Is there something a novice can do to oil the fitting if there is one or just shoot some wd40 in there. I would imagine that the front wheel would have to come off. Is there a fitting on the outside that is visable to me without going to deep into it. I have a 62 t-bird. Hey thanks. Larry
Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Larry,
Unless the lower ball joint is wore that is probably not where the squeak is coming from. Check and see if there is a grease fitting under the bottom of the ball joint. If there is grease it and drive her and see if that takes care of it. If not there are rubber bushings between there and the lower control arm. I would recommend soaking them down real good with WD-40, wipe excess off painted areas. Try that and see if it helps!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jones View Post
Is there something a novice can do to oil the fitting if there is one or just shoot some wd40 in there. I would imagine that the front wheel would have to come off. Is there a fitting on the outside that is visable to me without going to deep into it. I have a 62 t-bird. Hey thanks. Larry

Hi Larry

There's a grease nipple sticking out of the lower ball joint that you can grease yourself with a grease gun, and it's accessible without removing the wheel. I don't know if it'll be the source of a front end squek though, it'd have to be really dry to make a noise. Normally a sign or wear would be slop in teh ball joint.

It might pay to check that it's not the coil spring squeaking in the top cup, I believe there's an insulator that fits in there, it can wear through and cause a squeak.

I'd do the process of elimination - spray some WD40 up into the top of coil spring area first, if that's temprorarily fixes it you know that's the source of the noise.

I'd also invest in a grease gun if you don't have one, and go through and grease every ball joint. Squeeze the grease into the zerk fitting (grease nipple),and you 'll know when it's got enough as the rubber ball joint boot starts to bulge.

Hope this helps you Larry

Regards

Alistair
Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Experienced

Larry Jones is on a distinguished road
Default lower ball joint

Thank you Richard. Larry
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Larry,
You are more than welcome! Thats what we are here for is to help each other.
Thunderbirds forever!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436