This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring Woes

Mike, I will give ya a hallelujah, an Amen and a Hi-Five on that one!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-03-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Mike,
I could not have said it any better. Thats the way I feel. (sniff)
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Mike, I'm touched . . . wow....

Greg - after a bit you sit back and look at the car and realize...hey, that now runs alot better because of me! And you realize you have succeded in putting some of yourself into it. From there on, one little detail, part, repair at a time, it improves. You don't really notice it because it's such a struggle but one day it is a much better car and that fact is due to you.

An old friend who tended to be philosophical once said "people tend to overestimate themselves in the short run and underestimate themselves in the long run". This is true with car restorations as well.

Keep at it!!

John
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Greg,
Remember she is old, she's like a fine women and fine wine, they only get better with age. I will tell you what my granddaddy always tried to get through my thick skull. Son, he would say, if something you are working on is not going right and you get mad walk off and leave it for a while. Things will go better with a fresh mind! He was correct, as I get older I see what he was trying to tell me.
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

hey, if it was easy, ANYONE could do it.

The meaningful things are often the most difficult.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Mike I second that hallelujah!

Brilliant piece of writing there.... !
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I think you're right.... the parts illustrations I have show them being used at least until '66. I know the Baby Birds used the same part.

I was going to replace mine at one point with a mechanical one and figured the easiest thing to do was transplant one from a later TBird but I am not sure if I ever identified what year would do it... I gave up and just bought a box of the switches instead (I use DOT 5 and it kills the membrane flexibility about once ever year or so)
I think the same brake light switch was used on many vehicles, not just Fords. I always carry a spare as I never know when the switch is going to fail. Most autoparts stores carry them and they are cheap.

As John said, DOT 5 brake fluid does a number on the membranes in these switches. If you have an ammeter or voltmeter installed in your vehicle, you can monitor the status of your brake light system - if it is working properly you can see the effect of the brake lights going on and off by the change in the gauge readings. Otherwise you can test to see if your system is working by simply pressing down on the brake pedal when the engine is not running. If all is well, you can hear the click of the relay in the trunk. If you don't hear the relay click, your brake lights are not working. You probably can't hear the relay working if the engine is running.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

a small "win" today: I got the license bulbs to work.

new bulb sockets from the car parts store, and then wire-wheeled the rust/scale off the little glass lense covers.

I also ordered a power window relay from Bird's Nest today. Those guys seem to be pretty darn sharp on these cars.

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 08-03-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Greg, you will simply be doing something forever to this Bird, and you will be rewarded...( I know, cause its happened to me) Pride is something most folks don't have...especially havin hands on Yes, I did it...I'm curious? has any name come forth that you call the car....um....er, that of course can be repeated here ...?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Names? Well, guys at work like to tease and call it "Barney" or they start singing Prince's "Purple Rain" song.

They are all just jealous.

I've got alot of good feedback on the color. My wife says the body style and the color creates a full-scale visual assault. "It's just so wild-looking" she says.

The seller gave me the paint source and code yesterday. It is House of Kolor's "deep lilac pearl over black".