This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

If you get out the wiring diagram and follow the brake light wiring, I believe you will see it goes to the directional switch in the steering column and THEN to the brakes.

The reason is this: the brakes and directionals use the same bulb. So if you foot is on the brake AND you have the directional on then you dont want that bulb On all the time but rather flashing. So I think one of the functions of the directional switch is to disable the voltage to the brake light and instead enable the flashing voltage of the directional

Follow the wiring in the diagram and see where it leads you...

Having good grounds is always important and never should be taken for granted due to paint and rust. When testing, have a long jumper wire you can run right to the Negative post of the battery and to what you are working on so you can temporarily eliminate that issue.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The reason is this: the brakes and directionals use the same bulb. So if you foot is on the brake AND you have the directional on then you dont want that bulb On all the time but rather flashing. So I think one of the functions of the directional switch is to disable the voltage to the brake light and instead enable the flashing voltage of the directional.
John, I don't know about the '58s but what you say is only partly true for '59s because for the 59s in the two outer tail lights units, the brake and turn signal share the same bulb filament but in the inner tail light units, the bright filament is for brake light only. More simply put, there are four brake lights but only two of these are also signal lights.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM
John

Hey Howard - Thanks!!

I did not know that.. I lazily assumed that 58 and 59 were identical and '60 was the odd one (6 tail lights).

That makes the '59 a bit safer then, since you are doubling the brake lights. Easy to change and a good idea.

Sometime we ought to get some knowledgeable people like you to pool what they have and produce a 3 column table listing as many differences between the 3 years as possible.

In the brake light area, I have long forgotten the details, but at one point there was a relay in the left side of the trunk for brake lights. Maybe '58 for all I recall. I think this appeared in a thread someplace. Now if you didnt know that and the relay died, you could go to a heckuva lot of trouble....

john
Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring Woes

If I understand this right, the '58's and '59's had a brake relay in the drives side trunk area behind the trunk coverings. Go to this post and you will see pictures of that relay and posts regarding it. I don't think the '60's had it, but the '58's and '59's did, I think. When I get to my trunk area, I am going to look for this sucker and see if I have one. It is hiding behind one of the trunk panels on the left side if it is there.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t+relay&page=5

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Sometime in the early 60s they went to a mechanical switch on the brake pedal...
Really? When i bought my new brake switch from NAPA and expressed my surprise at them having one, he said Ford used the same switch on a lot of cars up through the mid 80's! Maybe the T'birds switched in the 60's, other Fords kept it longer.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 AM
John

I think you're right.... the parts illustrations I have show them being used at least until '66. I know the Baby Birds used the same part.

I was going to replace mine at one point with a mechanical one and figured the easiest thing to do was transplant one from a later TBird but I am not sure if I ever identified what year would do it... I gave up and just bought a box of the switches instead (I use DOT 5 and it kills the membrane flexibility about once ever year or so)
Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

my car had some splices wired in so that it would have two backup lights on each side, two brake lights, two blinkers, and of course, two tail lights on each side.

I've maintained those splices since it seemed like someone in this car's past had a good idea in regards to enhanced visibility at night.

I dont see a relay in my trunk, and there are no spliced wires indicating that there ever was one in there.

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 08-02-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Going to have to apologize Greg, can't seem to get in touch with my uncle.... the answering machine just makes some beeping noises, but won't record...and my aunt isn't picking up on the cell either...when I DO track them down, will let you know....
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

well I thought I could get lucky and see why the power windows are all dead. Should be an easy fix, right? Lately, I could use a "win" with this car....

It turned out the power window relay and 30A breaker isnt on the car amymore. So I'll have to buy one and wire it up. It probably got removed when the previous owner had the car apart for painting and engine installation.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ahhhh !!!

Buyer's remorse. Don't worry about it, it will fade. It is a common occurrence when first gazing on a thing of great natural beauty. Part of your brain is effectively disconnected from the the main cumputer. We are instantly in rut, or heat as the case may be. It is something that we inexplicably just "Must Have". Don't panic this is a good thing, you just need to trust your instincts.
It is delivered to you , or you pick it up on a trailer, or you drive it home, as in my case several cars back and part of the exhaust system falls off on the freeway and there goes that new found glow of a new "Posession". But fear not, the next day or the next week you will come out or down, and look at it and it will slowly, somewhat painfully, come to you, that yes, every older car or truck that you have ever owned has had, or soon would have problems of some form or another. Well, I hate to have to be the one to say it, but in the end you "Love Her". You do what you have to do. You fix what needs to be fixed. You improve on the old, like installing a 70 amp headlight relay so you can run aircraft landing lights for highspeed night driving. Sensible things. Things that spring from the dark backrooms of your mind a place where crooked politicians are prosecuted for thier crimes and justice prevails, and most importantly, most vitally, you get to have a relationship with and drive a wonderfull peace of art that you can make your own. Excuse me while I wipe a tear from my eye, I did'nt mean to go on like a mad, twisted, crazy person. Well, maybe I did. Trust me (hey! why not). In the end (my, thats somewhat dreary) we all "suck it up" and "get er done", and every time you drive her and you get the thumbs up, or some 18 yr old kid walks up and say's "man, that is sweet". Well, your heart swells, and you are overcome by a great sunammi of well being and love for your fellow man. Life is wonderfull if only for a momment (or longer depending on your basic nature). So hang in there my friend, and in the end all will be as it should be to those who persevere. Here's wishing you and your machine a long and happy future. Can i get a halleujah!!! Mike

Last edited by gaffney1951 : 08-03-2009 at 08:26 PM.