This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I've even used several well placed cinder blocks to hold up Coral
Please, NOT cinder blocks! Tell us that's the last time you'll get under a car on blocks. Always jack stands or ramps, blocks can crumble and the car will drop, my HS shop teacher preached this to his students.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Cathie,
I will totally agree with GTE427, I had a 1964 Thunderbird parts car and wanted to get her up off the ground. I jacked her up and put four concrete blocks under her, turned around picked up jack and headed for the garage, heard this big crash. All four blocks had crushed and she was on the ground again. Thank goodness I was not going to get under her to try to remove anything, all I wanted to do was to get her off ground.
These old cars are very heavy! Concrete blocks will not support that much weight by themselves, thats why the use them together and put mortar in between them!
Nether will a jack by itself. ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!!!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

It's running good going down the road. May be some surging, but overall not too bad. It did ping from a start when I got it in gear. It may be too much advance, I'll have to check that. 6 deg BTDC for these engines?

Question on the dashpot: On my 70's Fords (i.e 351C), it was an electrical solenoid that kicked up the throttle when needed. How do these on the 352's work?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Hey Astrowing,
It almost sounds like you vacuum advance is not working.
My understanding the dash pod is just a adjustment for setting idle. Christine did not have one on her when I got her so I got one and put it on. When you step on the accelerator does she hesitate?
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Experienced

From idle, it hesitated. Going down the road, the throttle seemed to respond as I expected.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Hey Astrowing,
There is something wrong with the accelerator pump! It is located in front of the carburetor. The throttle linkage pushes in a rod when you step on gas pedal. Check and make sure there is no space in between the plunger and the throttle linkage! Also these have a diaphragm in them and are bad about getting a hole in them.
Keep us informed!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey Cathie,
I will totally agree with GTE427, I had a 1964 Thunderbird parts car and wanted to get her up off the ground. I jacked her up and put four concrete blocks under her, turned around picked up jack and headed for the garage, heard this big crash. All four blocks had crushed and she was on the ground again. Thank goodness I was not going to get under her to try to remove anything, all I wanted to do was to get her off ground.
These old cars are very heavy! Concrete blocks will not support that much weight by themselves, thats why the use them together and put mortar in between them!
Nether will a jack by itself. ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!!!
Richard D. Hord

I've used 12 total under Coral - 3 under each wheel supporting area.... just as a pinch measure.... cause I didn't have have solid jack stands available...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Experienced

Time for a tuneup. It just doesn't idle well, so I'm going to pick up some points, rotor, and plug tomorrow and check the timing. I suspect the timing is way off, the distributor is rotated almost max counter-clockwise. It does have a new carbuerator on it. Don't know how it's adjusted yet though.

I've got the brake parts ordered. They are in bad bad shape, especially the hoses. Getting everything replaced including wheel cylinders and master cylinder. I can't believe I got it home in one piece, other than some creative braking! The E brake does work really well!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Whilst you're at it, change the Plug Wires as well if they don't look very happy. I would also change the Fuel Filter.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Experienced

The points were in aweful condition. That in itself made a big improvement and I just eyeballed them to reinstall. On to other items on the tuneup list. Have to get one of the bigger sparkplug sockets. All my sets only have 5/8" now.