This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road
Default New member with 58

Picked up the '58 and drove it home about 25 miles yesterday evening. The brakes have air in them, so rebuilding them is number one on the list as their age is unknown. Also, at a stop when warmed up it seems that the transmission is loading the engine down when in D1 or D2. It is ok before it warms up, but once warmed up I had to go to Neutral at all stops. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? Cosmetically, the car is a fine driver and got lot's of attention on the way home. Nice interior, but the mechanical has been neglected. Front end is going to need to be rebuilt also.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Start with a tune-up, set timing, idle speed, check for vacuum leaks. From your description, sounds like the engine was running with the choke, richer mixture and fast idle cam when initially running. Once it warmed up and the choke circuit was gone, the car won't idle in Drive. Not a sympton of the transmission, more so of idle speed being too low which is a reflection of the engine's state of tune.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ken on the low idle speed - espically if you car still has the old Ford 4100 carb - sounds just like mine.

Glad to hear your starting with the brakes - these cars weigh 2 tons and the system needs to be right to stop them. There are quite a few speciality parts houses around that carry the items you'll need but believe it or not most brake parts are still available at places like NAPA, Advance, or O'Riley.

Check out the Thunderbird Registy and list your car when you have time. www.tbirdregistry.com

Eric Taylor
Registry 5347
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Safety 1st. I would recommend you get the brakes and suspension fixed 1st.

Try Kanter Auto up in the N.E. They sell front end kits that will save you some time & money. They offer a lifetime parts warranty too...

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Experienced

Yellowbird is on a distinguished road

Glad to see another '58 owner in Texas. I agree, start with the brakes. If needed buy new wheel cylinders, don't waste time with rebuilding. Another thing to do is re-pack the front wheel bearings while the drum is off. You can also add the self adjusting mechanism to the brakes.
Good luck.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrowing View Post
Picked up the '58 and drove it home about 25 miles yesterday evening. The brakes have air in them, so rebuilding them is number one on the list as their age is unknown. Also, at a stop when warmed up it seems that the transmission is loading the engine down when in D1 or D2. It is ok before it warms up, but once warmed up I had to go to Neutral at all stops. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? Cosmetically, the car is a fine driver and got lot's of attention on the way home. Nice interior, but the mechanical has been neglected. Front end is going to need to be rebuilt also.
Welcome to the 58 club, I had to replace all the bushings in the front on mine. It really wasn't that bad a job to do for me at least.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission

The transmission seemed to shift fine, it upshifted and downshifted as I expected. D1 and D2 seemed to allow start in 2nd or 1st as desired. It obviously went into 3rd at speed and would run 60+ if I had good brakes and a good front end and I wanted to drive that fast. It was just an adventure at idle as it was. The engine runs pretty good at speed. I could detect some surging at 45 mph, but not too bad. Temperature stabilized at 190 degrees. I think the vacuum leak is very likely from my previous experiences. Much more obvious at idle, than when at speed.

With this low of a car, are ramps or jackstands preferred to work under it?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Stands, most definitely.... I've even used several well placed cinder blocks to hold up Coral while fussing about under-neath

WD-40 the entire carb/throttle linkage... several coats/applications...make SURE everything moves freely - then continue to investigate the above
Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrowing View Post
With this low of a car, are ramps or jackstands preferred to work under it?
Mine lived on jackstands for a long time while I was working on the front end.

I actually had it on 6 stands. two at the front, middle and the back.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Astrowing,
Is she acting up going down the road?
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436