This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

I+m also confused. I was sure "Jute belt" is the brown stripes or sheet they built up next the the springs in the seat before the foam. Brown in this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PassengerSeatBottomSm.jpg (32.6 KB, 53 views)
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 08-16-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default My Interior Work On Rose Has Started

Hi Dave and Anders!

I will have to talk with my guys on Monday about this Jute Belt thing.. I asked him what the name of the gray material was they used for the insulation. He said it was Jute. Then he said Jute Belt. Maybe because it comes in a big long roll that is rolled up like you can roll up a belt. This "Jute" is gray! As for any smell, I did not smell any kerosene smell and I was pretty close to it with my nose! An article I was reading said that Jute used to come from Indonesia, but now there is a petrochemical substitute being used.

Now, regarding the bows. I probably got that all screwed up. I read up on how to install a headliner just a few minutes ago, and it did not say anything about gluing in the bows. I will have to ask them again about them and how they go in place because I probably got it wrong.

The first number of pictures were taken as they were taking off the old brown colored insulation, whatever that was. Then further down, there are a series of pictures showing the new gray Jute being put in place. Under that is the new white headliner. It is NOT the original style headliner with the holes in it that came out of the car and should have been used. I forgot to order it! So instead of making him wait for several days for it to come in I told him to use what he usually uses for headliners on all the cars he has done in the past. So he did. The only white material up there is the new headliner.

What that material is under the seats I do not know, but I can ask him also about that.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I read that jute and hemp are different fibers, both grown in Monsoon regions. Both are biodegradable because they are vegetable (which may explain why mice like it).

The deal with hemp is, it dry rots. Sailors paint it with tar to stop moisture. That explains why hemp rope was soaked in kerosene, to keep moisture out.

I think I would prefer using a polyester fiberfill material for headliner insulation. Ray, would you please ask your guys if that is appropriate? I want to stay away from anything that rots (including cotton and flax for headliner pockets). Same thing for the seats. I don't want something that wicks. It needs to breathe and give up moisture. BTW, I'm not using foam rubber, but batting and a lot more springs.

You'll laugh, but I found an indoor-outdoor carpet (artificial grass) that I will use on my floor steel. I can see through this stuff, it won't promote mildew, it can't rot, and no I don't have to mow it. -Home Depot. All kidding aside, it's plastic and should work well for both sound and heat insulation. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

If the seats have survived for 50 + years, I realy donīt see any problem with replacing them with the same material, as I doubt I will drive Ruth year 2060.....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Hi Dave,

I will ask about using polyester fibrefill material. I should see them tomorrow. I see you are going to use artificial grass on your floor steel. At least you wont have to figure out how to get a lawnmower in there to cut it! lol.. Mine already has the aluminum floor covering under the carpeting to cut down on heat and noise.

I will get back with you after I see them tomorrow.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
If the seats have survived for 50 + years, I realy donīt see any problem with replacing them with the same material...
Exactly my point, Anders. My '55 customline didn't have foam, so why should I put foam in?

When I got this car, the seats were a mess. The Missouri seller didn't keep it up at all. That's why I got it so cheap.
- Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Hi Dave,

I talked with my guy this morning at the interior shop. He said that the use of a polyester fibrefill material for roof insulation was not a good idea. He said that when that material gets hot, it compresses, and that is not good.

Regarding the bows, I misunderstood him. They are not glued in. They are held in place by little plastic pieces on the ends, if I understood that correctly.

Now for that jute. It is Jute FELT, not Belt! lol.. It is not the natural stuff that grows in the Phillipines or Indonesia. It is a manufactured product that should be available through any upholstery supply company in your city.

I hope that answers your questions and clears up any confusion I caused by hearing a few things wrong!

I was going to say try this company, but I called them and they do not have Jute Felt in their supply. They are the only upholstery supply company I could find listed when I googled that in your area. But there are a lot more around you. I googled upholstery supply stores Royal Oak, Michigan, as I recall. Good luck!
Haberman Fabrics‎ - more info ŧ
905 S Main St, Royal Oak, MI‎ - (248) 541-0010
Category: Upholstery Fabrics-Retail

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-17-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Slow Typist

I sure appreciate all your time and leg work, Ray. Thank You. Jute Felt makes much better sense. Because it is mainly a synthetic material (rather than vegetable), I imagine it is mainly polyester, but I don't know.

Car interior temperatures are extreme, but we have used polyester and vinyls in cars for ions. Leather is nice, and holds up well, but it tends to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. A nice soft velour that breathes is my choice, both for the seats and headliner.

I made my own windlace with foam rod that is not rubber, so it won't harden and disintegrate.

We have some trim shops around here. I'll ask them where to get jute felt. I'm sure they'll know.
Thanks again. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Default My Interior Work On Rose Continues...

When I stopped by to see Danny this afternoon, he had the back seat lean back, as he calls it, out of the car and the seat covers off it. He is replacing those two Tbird panels with new ones that will place the Tbirds in the center of the panel.

He is also doing some reshaping of the rounded top left and right sides and also where the lean back takes that dip in the center and comes out of it. Those are areas where there were slight gaps showing. So he is adding some slight additional padding to fill those areas out so there will not be any gaps showing between the lean back and the "horseshoe" that it fits into.

We also discussed which area he is going to work on next and it looks like it will be the door panels. I did not take any pictures today. I will let you know when I do.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-18-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
I+m also confused. I was sure "Jute belt" is the brown stripes or sheet they built up next the the springs in the seat before the foam. Brown in this pic.
Jute can be bought in belts or stripes about 3 or 4 inches wide, or as a piece of fabric, also called jute burlap, which is what your showing in your picture Anders...