This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Experienced

Larry Jones is on a distinguished road
Default on going problem

I have a 62 convertible with 17 volts on the battery. I tried turning the lights on to drain the battery which it did and the battery showed 8 volts across the poles. Now when I turn the lights off the voltage jumps back again this has been going on all day. The last time I tried it the car wont start. Is this a generator from what Iam discribing or a voltage regulator. I would like someone to explain why the battery showes that much. Larry
Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like voltage reg., but the first thing I would do is pull the batt. take it to a parts store and have it tested. It's free and takes that element out of the equation. If it's been charging at 17 volts for long, and it's drawing down to 8 volts there's a good chance it's toast. Have you tried more than one volt meter? Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 02:40 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

The generator is definitely doing it's job or you wouldn't be seeing 17 volts!

I think some auto parts stores can check the regulator as well if you take it in. If not then look in the Yellow Pages under Auto Electric and take it to a shop that specializes in charging systems and so on.

It wouldn't hurt in the interim to take the cover off of it and clean the various contact points, then run a business card through them.

You might also check all your lights and make sure none of them got cooked by the 17 volts.